Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

Antoine

Administrator
Here's one with the legendary BNR Stage 3 turbo's. Crazy right?

What're your plans for a radiator? I desperately need one, but I've only found that PWR makes aluminum ones at the tune of nearly $1200 USD. They referred me to their Japanese branch, and they quoted me nearly Y140,000, AND it had to be special made, AND I'd have to wait until the "race" season when other custom radiators were being made.

I still have the stock radiator (unamused)

Antoine

Administrator
V
1991 Eunos Cosmo ECC 20B
Well done Antoine, some nice mods there. Does the HKS F Con keep the turbos working sequentially, nice one if it does. Great choice in wheels too, they would look fab on the Cosmo.
Darryl

Antoine

Administrator

Antoine

Administrator
Those popping sounds from your exhaust are just small backfires, it's probably nothing at all the worry about as I'd take an educated guess and say the FCON and your tuner probably increased the injector duty cycles. No worries though, mine occasionally does the same on hard pulls, and I have a RE-A ECU and titanium exhaust. My FD barked and popped a lot with a Power FC. So as long as it not back firing excessively, you should be fine, and grin slightly when it happens, especially if it happens next to a Prius.

Back firing and rotaries go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly.

As for the air con squealing, your belt probably just needs tightening. Just make sure you don't tighten it too much and snap the very skinny tension bolt....like I did. My car is doing the same same thing and it's extremely annoying because it's super hot and humid down here. My issue is that my belts keep getting stretched. Bought 3 more last week, waiting on delivery lol. Another temp fix it keeps squealing is to try and rub a bar of soap on the ribbed part of the belt.

Last edited:
V
'86 RX-7 Base, '79 RX-7 GS
-> If I turn the key to get electrical power (dash and radio come on), I now hear a loud clicking sound from the engine bay
Is it a single click or several? I'm not familiar with how the FCON is installed on a Cosmo but perhaps it's a relay switching on.

-> The exhaust now produces a light popping sound after quickly accelerating and decelerating in 2nd gear...This probably has less to do with the gear and more with the process of quickly accelerating and decelerating I'm guessing...
This is likely just a result of the tune and can be caused by more or less excess fuel in the exhaust.

-> Occasionally, If I accelerate for an extend period of time (say on the highway) and then let my foot off the pedal, I occasionally get a POP from the exhaust
Same as above.

-> Possibly unrelated to the recent upgrades...I'm now hearing an occasional loud squealing sound from the engine bay when I accelerate with the air con on...I'm suspecting this has to do with the belts and or the ac system
Definitely check the belts.

Other than that...The Cosmo is now doing an amazing job of keeping cool and I feel like the 20B is not having to work as hard as it did before to accelerate...This is especially noticeable when driving up mountain roads and when passing other cars...I now hit 5K a lot sooner than before which is great...I'm sensing that the Ol' auto box now has to work harder to keep up with the 20B's new found power and response...Eventually I want to "beef up" the transmission to better match and handle the 20B's increasing power.
I'd just monitor how the transmission shifts. Is it taking longer, making more noise, etc. Those are clear indicators the transmission isn't up to the task.

Still, I've got to take care of my suspension first...Plus, I've got new issues to sort as mentioned above...Step by step as they say...
I would say most of those aren't issues. Trying to get more power out of the engine is going to result in some interesting noises.

Antoine

Administrator

Antoine

Administrator
The backfiring probably could be tuned out, but that might mean leaning out the tune which would be a big no-no. Going back to the stock exhaust would quiet it down, but who wants to do that right?

Doubtful that you're shooting flames, but if you ever notice a quick "glow" in your side view at night you might be. Either way, the tune is probably a lot more helpful and harmful. My FD never threw flames are far as I know. I had a S14 that threw fat flames at higher altitudes (mountain driving), never had any issues.

Antoine

Administrator
Hey Ant I have a question about your intake. I ordered the AutoExe unit also and its arriving soon. Did you keep that stock air diverter tube there after you remove the stock intake?

Do you think the intake is getting sufficient air being behind the headlight? I was thinking of cutting out a section of that rubber strip thats on the underside of the leading edge of the hood.

Antoine

Administrator
Yup that's the tube I'm referring too. I don't really see it doing any harm being there. I was just wondering if there was a way utilize that pipe with the new intake, I haven't gotten yet so I was unsure of the fitment.

V
'02.5 Mazda Protege5
Any updates Antoine? Just spent a couple hours reading through the thread, I have to say it's definitely one of my favorites. I'm a member of many different forums, yet I haven't seen a build thread so nicely done with tasteful mods that maintain an elegant style while improving the driving experience (thumb). I've always had a fancy for rare "JDM" cars, and the Cosmo is a beautiful example. Hope all is well!

Antoine

Administrator
V
Mazda Axela 4WD GT (Lexie)
Any chance you are driving your beast up to Hokkaido this summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts