Project: "Last RX-7" by Herblenny

Aug 6th, 2012 - Update from past 7-8 days...

Well, On my way to pick up some goodies for this project and my MB, I stopped off last weekend at the Import Alliance in Charlotte, NC. There, I saw this yellow FD with K swap.

DSC_4381.jpg

Up on closer inspection, the turbo set up seemed very similar to my 20B project. See if you can compare..

DSC_4382.jpg

I did talked to the owner and they did a great job putting this car together in less than 3 months. Its definitely different... but not sure if this is something I consider a 'better' option to 13B or LSx. I was told it should make mid 400whp using GT35R. That's about what you would get from 13B. Also, unlike 13B, K seems to sit much higher. That's definitely not an advantage over 13B.

After my trip to IA, I headed to Charlottesville, VA to pick up some goodies!!
Some of the back roads were amazing up there (not as cool as Deals Gap :) ).

Here is a photo taken inside the 4 Runner, on our way up.

616445_10151001981733927_1560338396_o.jpg

Picked up my goodies from one of FD fanatic, Fritz Flynn... here are his collection of VR FDs. I've also been to his 'warehouse' and I'm sure he has few more FD's sitting around there.

Fritz.jpg

After my 1300 mile trip, I took 3 days off/worked and made other trip up to Louisville, KY to visit Chris Ludwig from www.lms-efi.com .

Chris is working on my Haltech PS2K harness and also using mil-spec connector for all the Haltech and Defi Super Sport Cluster (DSSC) stuff.

302434_10150999275918927_2026693891_n.jpg

This week, I'll be beautifying my short and long block and ordering some goodies :)

Props for all the updates, Phil...I'm enjoying the variety as well...Great to see all the shops / places that this project is taking you! :D

I probably missed it but did you mention who made that CF hood?

IMG_3736.jpg

Aug. 13th, 2012 Update...

Well, the car is at one of the best paint and body place in the country... Jonathan Goolsby @ Goolsby Customs (www.GoolsbyCustoms.com).

While the car is there, I've decided to freshen up the engine..

photo39.jpg

Then spent couple of hours taping up the engine..

photo42.jpg

And here is the finished engine :)

photo45-1.jpg

Also, Goolsby Customs started to test fit the panels...

photo46.jpg

More to come later this week...

god damn, that motor looks so good.

Thanks!

Aug 14th, 2012 - Today, I finished up the engine by touching up few spots, and decided to paint the UIM, LIM, and install the Exedy Clutch.

photo50.jpg

Lightened twin disc Exedy Clutch - Front side
photo51.jpg

Back side

I also installed all new plugs
photo53.jpg

repainted the inside of the back.. and clean up counter weight.
photo52.jpg

flywheel torqued on.
photo54.jpg

Discs in..

photo55.jpg

And now, its on :)

photo56.jpg

Aug. 5th, 2012 - This morning I decided to finish what I started yesterday... UIM and LIM.

To start, I took some of the cast marking off by filing them off.

photo61.jpg

After about 1-2 hours of this, I taped it up and sprayed with the same gray I been using, with high temp clear. I initially thought about doing wrinkle red, but after painting the short block, I think it might be bit off.

photo62.jpg

I let it cure over night and using a file, I took the clear and paint for the machined look, "3 ROTOR".

photo64.jpg

And to tie in the exterior of the car, I took one of the carbon fiber panel I had and made an insert. This took bit of time as I didn't have the right tools and used some sand paper and file to make the rectangle.

photo63.jpg

Next is TB and some of the accessories to match everything.. So, more pics in next couple of days.

very cool idea. i wish i had that attention to detail

Thank you! That means a lot!

Nice build!

Thank yoU!

Aug. 17th, 2012 Update.... Some body related updates.

Goolsby Customs did quite an update since I brought the car to them about 2 weeks ago.. They have now install most of the panels and lining them up.

Here some pics..

photo1-1.jpg

fender, lights, and bumper

photo57.jpg

Front bumper, lights, canards, and undersweep

photo65-2.jpg

FEED wing, lip spoiler, etc

photo70.jpg

Rear wheel well cut for the FEED fender flares..

Phillip, a little side commentary here. I was re-reading this thread from the beginning and you mentioned that this was going to be your "last RX7". That being said are you not going to build other ones down the road or are you just holding off till your son can help you on a build? Just curious.

Phillip, a little side commentary here. I was re-reading this thread from the beginning and you mentioned that this was going to be your "last RX7". That being said are you not going to build other ones down the road or are you just holding off till your son can help you on a build? Just curious.

To clarify, What I meant was that I am not going to buy another car to build. I will continue to tinker but I double it will be to this caliber. Many to maintain the other cars and start driving the cars. But I would not be buying another car/rotary car for a build.

I am not located in Charlotte...

Aug. 20th, 2012 Some minor update but not much to show... anyhow, more pics :)

How the car is sitting now..
photo6-1.jpg

Test fit the UIM..
386842_10150960016280378_1452910723_n.jpg

Aug. 23rd, 2012

Couple of things to update you guys..

photo5-2.jpg

Car's coming along with all the panels are on except for the fender mirrors.. I'm hoping to pick out the paint color tomorrow or early next week.

I also started to work on other things attached to the engine.. I stripped down the throttle body (TB), cleaned it, and painted simple black with polished ends. Hope all ties well together at the end.

photo73.jpg

And finally, the writer of this article contacted me and told me about the rare 767 4 rotor race car (http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/08/...-my-date-with-the-mazda-767b-at-road-atlanta/).
mazda-767b-race-car-title.jpg

It was being rebuilt at the famous Jim Downings in ATL (Also developer of Hans Device). I made call to a friend at Downings and found out that it was still in ATL, GA. I planned to head over there and couple of days before, a friend and manager of Mazmart, Paul Thomas, decided to organize an event for those interested in seeing. I than talked to Paul to find out when, rescheduled and went to see this rare 767..

And here are some pics from it.

Mazda767B3.jpg

And I got to see it before everyone got there and took few of these without the crowd.

Mazda767B.jpg

Mazda767B2.jpg

Mazda767B1.jpg

i'll post a video of this in couple of days.

Can't wait to see this thing out of the paint booth... On a side note I was perusing this thread the other day and the lady friend glancing over my shoulder said, "That doesn't look very good..." to which I replied: "Oh it will, it will... Now go make me a sandwich!"

Back