Production pictures of new CX-5

I'm not expecting the diesel. I am expecting the very killer SkyActive gas engine though. I'm going to drive it and trade my '09 5 if it is all it's cracked up to be. I don't care what anybody says. This is a big deal that a sporting company is up in the MPG realm with the best from Honda/Toyota/etc. I'm very excited by this new Mazda trend. I can't wait to drive one.

Has anyone heard a North America release date yet for the CX-5?

According to Car and Driver, the CX-5 won't be coming in AWD Manual combo. The diesel won't be coming this year as well.
Too bad, I really was hoping for something different than the competitors. Many other car companies also offer a small CUV with manual, but all front wheel drive. I thought Mazda could break that barrier and offer something AWD and manual, all while getting great MPG

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2013-m...5-hp-up-to-33-mpg-highway-no-manualawd-combo/

Last edited:
Kodo design on the CX-5 looks pretty good, but at best ordinary. Headlights and grill look good to me, but the front as a whole doesn't seem quite right. No manual on AWD trims is another disappointment. If Subaru can sell AWD with manuals, why not Mazda? Is it because Mazda doesn't have a mechanical AWD system?

I just think they don't want to offer it here seeing as it wouldn't sell well (according to them). Correct me if I'm wrong but the CX-7 in Europe come’s Manual AWD and I'm sure the CX-5 as well will come with that combo.
I to like the design, but wish it was a little more aggressive.

I too would prefer a better AWD system in their cars but considering the price point its alright. If you go with a better system such as Subaru's AWD its going to cost more as you would have to have development costs and R&D and so on. The diesel won't be here until 2013, from what I'm told.

My biggest surprise is that the navigation system is now a "TOMTOM" based unit. Thank good they will finally have one that is user-friendly instead of the awful ones in previous models and years!

Happy that Mazda doesn't seem to have any plans to put a Ford Mytouch system in their cars. Good that they are improving the GPS, the only problem I have with TomTom though is the fact that they sold their traffic data to police who intend to use it to find locations where people speed most frequently.

Back