Problem with front windows

gcardona77

:
Mazda CX-9
Hi.

I have a 2009 CX-9 that just run out of warranty (go figure). The other day, the front passenger window started giving us issues. We could get it down a bit, and then it would get stuck, and you would hear a rattling noise. Then, if you wanted to go up, you would have to assist it with your hand. Two days later, the same happened with the driver side window. I took it to the dealer and they said that it was the window regulators, and they wanted an arm and a leg to fix (surprise!). I asked around, and a lot of mechanics were surprised that that was the diagnostic since regulators, according to them, don't go bad that soon, if at all (car only has 38,000 miles). Any ideas? Is this something that is easy to fix?

It probably is the regulators. My camaro (I know its a different car) had the regulators go at like 40k. It should not be too labor intensive to replace them. I think I paid like $30 (wholesale) for the part and then like $50 for the install. Depends on who you know or how mechanically inclined you are.

After I read "assist is with your hand" I was immediately thinking regulators. When you said the drivers did it 2 days later, then I'm thinking that is too much of a coincidence. Electrical? I have replaced regulators in 2 different cars. Both of which had heavy usage for 10+ years and 100K+ miles. I would not say its easy, nor complex, just time consuming. Take the trim panel off, sound barrier out, then begin unbolting the regulator, put the new one in, and they most challenging part is fitting the window back into the replacement regulator and getting it to line up properly lower/raise properly. But for both to fail w/in couple of days. Either a bad set of regulators, or motors, or something else. Very weird for 2 to fail within 2 days, almost unheard of, especially at such low mileage. Get a second opinion. Has your car ever been worked on? (i.e. collision)

I had a similar problems a few months ago. Dealer service tech found that the window actuator mounting nuts/bolts had loosened and a few were found rolling around in the bottom of the door. Might want to tear into the door panel before buying new parts. Might only require a little bit of labor to fix.

Last edited:
If you remove the door panel, you probably can see what is going on inside right away.
Fixing window regulators will be costly. I would estimate around $800 for both (parts included).
However, I doubt that both regulators went the same time.
Even if so, call MazdaUSA (when you are sure about the problem) and ask them to pay for the 50%
since your CX9 just got out of warranty..... You would be surprised. They do that all the time.

Again, I doubt that both regulators went.

With my CX9, when it was 6-month old, both rear windows failed to roll down. It seemed that they were
blocked by "something" inside the doors because I could hear the motor slowing down. Going up was
no problem at all after 1 inch or so. Eventually, the problem was found to be insufficient glue when attaching
the styrofoams to the door panel and they turned loose inside. Another possibility for you. Not always the
regulators.

Video : how to remove CX-9 front door panels

here you go, save some money ..... looks pretty easy

Back