Power source for reversing camera near mirror?

hwebster

Hi

I am installing an after-market reversing camera for my 2011 Mazda 2. It requires ACC/IGN power somewhere near the mirror. I had a poke around the dome light and it appears that this is always live, and not just ACC/IGN 12V. Does anyone have any advice on the best place to wire the camera to? It looks like I might have to run the power cable down a pillar and ferret around under the dash for a source, but I was hoping there would be something more convenient. If the dome light is always live I don't want to wire the camera to it because I'm concerned this would drain the battery (will it?). Any advice or wiring diagrams appreciated.

Thanks

Get power from the the fuse box on the front, mine is on the left as i have right side wheel, yours i don't know. You can also get power straight from the back up light since they use the same voltage and frankly it wont drain the power as it will receive power only when the back up lights are on. you will also need to run the video cable the same way from the navigation.

I run the wire from the Nav behind the dash, behind the wheel cover ( wheel on the right) down the door pilar, across to the back on the lower frame of the chassis under the back couchin and under the plastic panel in the back of the trunk though the air vent in the jack compartment so i don't drill the frame and i mounted on the bumper above the light. I tried on the top window but gives to much glare due to the LED's

Best thing i ever did on it as i never could get the right distance with it slopping back, now i park in some crazy spaces.

I took power from the reverse lights for mine. Is the camera mounted in the rear or by the mirror in yours?

My camera is mounted above the number plate in front of the number plate light. I have a square shaped one from eBay with 4 leds.
Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 12.37.52 AM.png

Same positioning as mine, then. I just pulled the plastic trunk panel off the passenger side (or whichever side you ran your wires) and used a tap on the reverse light wire.

I bought a Natika WD-011. It's a factory look camera with a stainless steel post and nut. The connector is a slim plug rather than the typical RCA type so it passes through much smaller holes, and it only requires an electrical tap into one of the backup lights for power and activation, then sends the video signal and trigger up to the head unit. It has on-screen guide lines you can leave or omit, and can be mounted under a horizontal surface or on a rear-facing vertical surface.
It's not the highest resolution but it works well in low light conditions.
It also came nicely packaged with three different gaskets to adjust the mounting angle, a nice trim removal tool, electrical tape, and a 'Thank You' card.

Attachments

• Backup Camera.jpg
    Backup Camera.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 88

Latest posts

Back