Power-seat noise

Attachments

• MazdaSeatNoise_Link.JPG
    MazdaSeatNoise_Link.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 152
Can't see the video ... Only a frowny face :-(

Anyone have a link?
It's on youtube - maybe it's blocked for you? Here's the link with a space after the http:

http ://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=nO2NnSMOxpE

Can't see the video ... Only a frowny face :-(

Anyone have a link?

video title:
Mazda Power Seat Noise Remedy

video poster: Joe

video link: (notice the extra space after v= ); i did this so you can copy/paste then remove space in hopes the forum doesnt clobber the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= nO2NnSMOxpE

Thanks for video link help. I can see it now :) .

My '16.5 cx5 touring just a few weeks ago started this same squealing business on the driver seat. Seat is rarely moved (wife's daily driver and I don't get in it much). It was a cold day when I moved it at it squealed loudly. I tried it again just a few days ago when it was warm out and it still squealed but not as loud. That video helped quite a bit! Thanks to the man who made it :)

So, Average Joe, how did you find the part number for the drive cable? I looked everywhere and none of the parts breakdowns took it any further than the seat base assembly. It's great that you included the part number for the drive cable in your video, it was very helpful and my local dealer had one in stock, but I'm curious for the future....

I searched for a very long time and finally came across a technical service bulletin. I would be hard pressed to identify where I found that TSB but I remember that it is where I was finally able to identify the specific part.

Attachments

• TSB_SI108167.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
Great! I did the repair yesterday and it went fast and easy and it's now much quieter.

I kind of wonder whether there is a design deficiency, though, because it seems like the drive cable needs to bend down to a lower axis fairly quickly at the right side (toward the passenger side) of the bracket to fit into the gear box. It seems that if that were a more gradual curve it would put less side stress on the cable and also on the gear box. Just my thoughts...

Anyway, thanks for your help with it all!

Jim

I followed the video and the Technical Service Bulletin TSB 09-011/17 in this post. I used a Torx socket CRV-E12 and a screwdriver bent at the end to lift the centre clip.

The job took 15 minutes.

Thank you for your information, after over a year thinking what it could be. Cheers

The posts all referenced the long cable A (about 12" long) when the short cable B (about 2-2-1/2" long) on the motor side is the one that broke. It is a 2013 CX-5 and on this model there are two cables. So, I guess that I will have to go to the local Mazda dealer to get the proper replacement cable. The local auto parts store said that it is only available from Mazda.

TSB 09-011/17 applied to the model CX-5 that I own which only has one cable. However that TSB refers to a previous TSB 09-021/13 that was issued July 19th 2013. That earlier TSB lists part number GHL2-88-0D1 vs part number TK81-88-0D1 in the more recent TSB, however diagrams in both documents show a single cable. Take a look at the diagrams in those TSB's to see if you have missed something in your analysis.

Attachments

• TSB_09_011_17.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • TSB_09_021_13.pdf
    362.3 KB · Views: 64
AverageJoe, thank you for your reply. The attached detail from the Mazda installation/repair manual shows this cable B but does not reference a part or explain a replacement. There are two cables on this model seat motor and there is no real reference to the short Cable B and its replacement. The attached file shows the cable that I am in need of replacing and it is about 2-3" long.

Attachments

• Slide Motor for Seat Adjuster - Cable B.pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 79
Eddie, I see the part you are referring to. I would try contacting one of your local dealer parts departments to see if they will identify the part for you. My experience was they aren't that helpful with identifying this level of detailed component which is what lead to my original search and identification through a TSB. I used to use a site called parts.com that has since ceased to exist. I liked it because it gave detailed parts diagrams that I found useful for identifying OEM part numbers. Perhaps others hereon can suggest online suppliers that have good search tools including the diagrams. I can tell you the categories to look under are your year, make, model followed by Body>Front Seat components>>

Best of luck on your search.

averageJoe, thank you for your suggestion and I have spoken to a parts employee at a local Mazda shop and sent him the detail to locate the part. Hopefully he can find it and get me one. Thanks again for your response. Eddie

averageJoe, I just spoke to the parts person at the local Mazda dealership and he said that Mazda does not offer that part and that I would have to purchase the whole seat assembly for $1.204 plus the labor to install. So, for a $20 part I need to spend upwards of $1,500. I probably will measure the length required and have a machine shop make the part for about $200. Given that not even Mazda offers this replacement part, I will be hard pressed to buy another Mazda car.

averageJoe, I just spoke to the parts person at the local Mazda dealership and he said that Mazda does not offer that part and that I would have to purchase the whole seat assembly for $1.204 plus the labor to install. So, for a $20 part I need to spend upwards of $1,500. I probably will measure the length required and have a machine shop make the part for about $200. Given that not even Mazda offers this replacement part, I will be hard pressed to buy another Mazda car.

Would it be possible to visit a local auto junkyard to see if you can pull one off of a wrecked CX-5? It sounds like you can remove the slide motor and cable B from a donor car and install it on your own.

Would it be possible to visit a local auto junkyard to see if you can pull one off of a wrecked CX-5? It sounds like you can remove the slide motor and cable B from a donor car and install it on your own.
Eddie, That's the same scenario I ran into that lead me to create this thread in the first place once I discovered the part number. They were saying the same thing about the long cable. I think I would use the approach sm1ke suggests of going to a salvage yard to see if you could purchase the drive motor with the cable in question. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think there's as much of an issue with the part you are needing as there is with the long drive cable so taking that approach may work.

Eddie, Look at page 12 of the attached TSB and call your dealership to see if you can order the part number referenced on that page. Follow the instructions in the TSB. I think that should solve your problem.

Attachments

• TSB_09_006_16.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 105
I saw somewhere reading through this subject a person using a grinder on a bolt to fashion a replacement for the short cable

Eddie, Look at page 12 of the attached TSB and call your dealership to see if you can order the part number referenced on that page. Follow the instructions in the TSB. I think that should solve your problem.
This TSB mentioned a new “service part” for power slide unit is available if the original “short“ motor cable is broken or the motor mounting bracket is deformed. Unfortunately the new service part is quite expensive, around $750 each.

Last edited:
Back