Power Mirrors in the Winter

:
Southeast MA
:
2019 CX-5 GT W/PP
What is everyone doing for the power mirrors in the winter?? Being in the northeast I am going to try some Super Lube and put it around the upper mirror where it turns and even spray some inside the mirror. They Super Lube is good to -45*F . I was also thinking of some covers for the mirrors. What are your ideas.

What is everyone doing for the power mirrors in the winter?? Being in the northeast I am going to try some Super Lube and put it around the upper mirror where it turns and even spray some inside the mirror. They Super Lube is good to -45*F . I was also thinking of some covers for the mirrors. What are your ideas.
Not just in freezing temperature, change the auto folding mirrors’ setup at least to manual folding all the time or they’ll fail really fast.

Another vote for just disabling the feature. It is easy enough to fold them in just by rotating the adjustment knob to the six o'clock position when you see the need to have the mirrors folded in to avoid damage of some sort.
I wouldn't spray any kind of lube on them nor would I try to fold them in under icy conditions.
Try not to park anywhere where some knucklehead looking down at his phone while walking between parked cars is likely to ram into your mirrors.

Thanks for the advice.
I didn't know that if you de-activate the power mirrors you can still use them manually folding!! That would be great for the driver side mirror.

For those that use the power folding feature...can you explain why?

In almost 30 years of driving, I can't think of a single instance where such a feature would have been useful.

I'm guessing those that use it live in dense urban areas with lots of tight on-street parking?

There is a TSB for power mirror failure in CX-5s produced before June 11, 2019. I don't know for sure, but I would hope that the replacement mirrors and the units installed on CX-5s after June 11, 2019 are more robust.

Either way, operating the mirrors when there may be obstructions due to ice is never a good idea, so if I had them, I would probably just turn the auto-folding feature off in the winter. The lube will probably help, but I don't know how much.

In almost 30 years of driving, I can't think of a single instance where such a feature would have been useful.

I'm guessing those that use it live in dense urban areas with lots of tight on-street parking?

I have a 1980s home with a small one car garage. If I do not fold the mirrors in it is difficult to navigate around the side of the car, especially if I am carrying something. It's amazing how much room I gain by using that folding feature. Do I use it in parking lots and street parking? No.

Thanks for the advice.
I didn't know that if you de-activate the power mirrors you can still use them manually folding!! That would be great for the driver side mirror.

Just a note from the manual:

Use the outside mirror switch to set the mirror to the on-road position:

Setting the power folding outside mirror to the on-road position by hand is dangerous. The mirror will not lock in position and will prevent effective rearview visibility.

Meaning you can fold them in manually, but when unfolding the mirrors, use the switch.

I figured they were going to stick. On the first snowfall (Ontario), the passenger side stuck. I disabled the power feature. I may turn it on in the spring, more than likely I won't bother.

I checked the TSB and I have the latest version of the power mirrors. I called my local Mazda dealer and they told me, not to put anything on them and to just clean them good before open the doors. Will see!! Living in the city and parking on the street the folding mirrors are a great benefit, just hope they hold up.

You can say that about just about ANYTHING that is on the vehicle now though.

- Why use radar cruise control?
- Why use seat warmers?
- Why use the auto-lane changing feature for the indicators?
- Why would I rely on a system to automatically brake in a sudden-brake scenario?

I mean we could go on and on as to why some things would be useless to some people.

Human beings are notoriously not careful around OTHER peoples' vehicles.. I don't know how many times I've seen people walk between cars in a parking lot and bend someone elses' mirorrs in the wrong direction by their arm hitting it or not.

Folding them in just gives you a few more inches of not having to worry about someone damaging your mirror.

You can say that about just about ANYTHING that is on the vehicle now though.
- Why use radar cruise control?
- Why use seat warmers?
- Why use the auto-lane changing feature for the indicators?
- Why would I rely on a system to automatically brake in a sudden-brake scenario?

Human beings are notoriously not careful around OTHER peoples' vehicles.. I don't know how many times I've seen people walk between cars in a parking lot and bend someone elses' mirorrs in the wrong direction by their arm hitting it or not.

Folding them in just gives you a few more inches of not having to worry about someone damaging your mirror.
All of the features you list I have used, have found to be useful, and are actively utilized while driving the vehicle.

I'm not sure how they in any way compare to mirrors folding in a few inches when you are not using/driving the vehicle. That's why I asked for people to clarify.

So your unique use case (no one else has mentioned), is reducing the likelihood of a mirror being damaged by someone walking by in a parking lot. Fair enough. Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure how they in any way compare to mirrors folding in a few inches when you are not using/driving the vehicle. That's why I asked for people to clarify.

Understood - my point was merely just that there's plenty of things on the vehicle that some people may use and some people may not have a use for it.

I don't have a use for rear-heated seats, for example. No one ever sits in the back seats of my car, as I'm a single dude.

Happy New Year!

For me that guess is spot on. On any narrow street in Chicago, especially on really tight one way streets, you'll see most of the mirrors folded in even if folks have to do it manually when they get out of the car. At my last house I heard a bang one night and my next door neighbor's car had his mirror ripped off the side of his car by a passing vehicle. So yeah, it really happens, and that street wasn't all that narrow.

Also I like the mirrors to fold in as a lock indicator when I get out of the car as the doors don't always auto-lock properly.

That being said I think I'll turn off the auto-fold feature in the winter as my driver's side mirror was frozen in place after a heavy rain / sleet storm where it got really cold later that night. The sound of all those plastic gears straining to flip it back out was pretty scary.

At my last house I heard a bang one night and my next door neighbor's car had his mirror ripped off the side of his car by a passing vehicle. So yeah, it really happens, and that street wasn't all that narrow.
Yes it happened to my 1998 Honda CR-V once when it was parked on the street in front of our house. The street is at least 4-car wide.

⋯ That being said I think I'll turn off the auto-fold feature in the winter as my driver's side mirror was frozen in place after a heavy rain / sleet storm where it got really cold later that night. The sound of all those plastic gears straining to flip it back out was pretty scary.
If my CX-5 had the power folding mirrors, I simply just keep them in manual mode, and fold them as I feel like it by turning the switch. If I had a Lexus RX like many of our friends do, I’ll leave them in auto folding mode as none of them is having issues with so many times of auto folding.

Back