Power liftgate question

SndChsr

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Hey folks, this is driving me utterly insane so hopefully someone can answer.
I park my CX-5, turn off the ignition, The keys are still in one of the cup holders. Immediately I press the power liftgate button next to the steering wheel (doors closed or open) and I get 2 beeps with the liftgate not opening. I go to the back of the car, press the button on the liftgate itself and again, no go. I press the button on the transmitter and it opens. I assume the reason why it won't open when pressing the button on the back of the liftgate itself is because my keys are still in the car (?). That's fine, I can handle that. But why do I have to press the button on the transmitter to open it even when I'm sitting inside the car with the keys next to me??

In the summer with the windows down, I would park my car, get out, shut the door, then read inside through the open window to press the power lift button so I could open the hatch and same thing. 2 beeps and no go. I've searched the manual and it doesn't seem to state anything about certain conditions which would prevent the lift gate from opening via the inside button. There is mention of it while the theft prevention system is armed, but like I said. I've just parked the car, haven't locked the doors and already, the dang thing won't open.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

After you turn off ignition do all your doors unlock? If your passenger doors are locked, the liftgate won't open when you use the button inside the car or on the liftgate itself. Using the remote will open them regardless if doors are locked or unlocked.

After you turn off ignition do all your doors unlock? If your passenger doors are locked, the liftgate won't open when you use the button inside the car or on the liftgate itself. Using the remote will open them regardless if doors are locked or unlocked.

Really??? Even the passenger side needs to be unlocked? No wonder. Yes, in my case the passenger side is usually still locked. I don't get it though. Why would they make the lift gate dependent on the passenger side doors.

Thanks for the answer lowincash! Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Its tied to if the car is "locked" vs "unlocked". Can only use the dash button if the car is unlocked. The key fob seems to over ride that.

Its tied to if the car is "locked" vs "unlocked". Can only use the dash button if the car is unlocked. The key fob seems to over ride that.
Thanks. I'll also take note of this as sometimes, whenever I pass by security checks, while the engine is running, I can't seem to open the liftgate. Perhaps I just have to unlock the doors.

Back