power folding mirrors

:
2018 CX 5 TOURING
Now that power folding mirrors are finally available on the '19 cx 5, do you think they will be made available as a retrofit for older models?

Hope so; my garage is a bit tight.

I would love that as well, but my suspicion is no. Like the preferred package, it would have to be a factory install. (Fingers crossed I am wrong!)

When I got my '16 Mazda6 GT, I called a Mazda dealership in a country where their Mazdas have power-folding side mirrors as standard equipment.
The mechanic told me that it takes lots of works/$$$ to make it possible.
1) new mirrors
2) new switch panel (on the inside)
3) software update
So, I gave it up.
Mazda is making this power-folding mirrors standard on high end models of '19 CX9, and '19 CX5.
It should be on the '19 Mazda6 also (next April).
Not sure if the Mazda3 will have it. Extra cost, you know.

BTW, I said this before.
There is a plastic gear in this power-folding mechanism.
It tends to fail under resistance (such as dirts in the gaps).
Also, tend to fail if water gets into the electronics/motor, etc. (such as auto carwash)
Be aware of these problems that owners in other countries have experienced.

Last edited:
No. Auto makers dont usually make features found on current production models available as a retrofit to older models. And even if they did, it would be very expensive.

I read somewhere that auto makers sometime in the near future will do away with outside mirrors completely. Cameras and interior monitor screens will replace outside mirrors. Back up cameras in cars currently in production already work like this. If an outside mirror camera fails, until it gets fixed, will cause you a sore neck from turning around to see whats behind you.

Read this: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Co...e-side-view-mirrors-with-cameras-in-new-model

Well, look at the size of that side camera(?).
You will need auto-folding.... and more so since it becomes even more expensive....
BTW, 2019 Lexus ES (JDM) will carry this side camera.
US? No. It does not comply with vehicular codes.
Codes need to be changed first. Japan updated the codes last year.

When I got my '16 Mazda6 GT, I called a Mazda dealership in a country where their Mazdas have power-folding side mirrors as standard equipment.
The mechanic told me that it takes lots of works/$$$ to make it possible.
1) new mirrors
2) new switch panel (on the inside)
3) software update
So, I gave it up.
Mazda is making this power-folding mirrors standard on high end models of '19 CX9, and '19 CX5.
It should be on the '19 Mazda6 also (next April).
Not sure if the Mazda3 will have it. Extra cost, you know.

BTW, I said this before.
There is a plastic gear in this power-folding mechanism.
It tends to fail under resistance (such as dirts in the gaps).
Also, tend to fail if water gets into the electronics/motor, etc. (such as auto carwash)
Be aware of these problems that owners in other countries have experienced.

Dealer just replaced mine because of a noise. Never had any issues and sure the system was working fine but since the cars will be out of warranty soon the service advisor told be they would replace both sides under warranty. No noise now.

Hate to start a new thread or maybe my searching technique sucks lol.

Does anyone know how to shut this function off on a Canadian 19 GT T or signature? Terrified the weather will possibly break it (unlocking when frozen, freezing rain, etc). I went through the menus but couldn*t find it. Last resort is covering with bags on snowy nights lol.

I tried a three button technique briefly tonight but gave up as it never worked (acc on). I dont think there is a manual / auto button, Ill check in the morning tho. I hope its that easy and Im just dumb. Lol. As a temp fix I covered with plastic bags and a elastic band. Its snowing here and Im not taking any chances.

I*ve successfully turned mine off.
The instructions ARE in the owner*s manual.

Not near the manual at the moment, but IIRC the ignition has to be in the on (not acc) position and window lock button depressed (windows disabled).
On the driver*s door, simultaneously press the passenger-side and both rear window buttons in the window down direction.
Hold for three or more seconds and then release.

There*s no beep or other signal to confirm the change, but the mirrors not folding when the ignition turns off indicates success.

Thanks turbo. I tried doing that procedure in the middle of the night here while the snow was falling and couldnt get it to work. Im going to use a blow dryer at a safe distance to make sure nothing is frozen inside before unlocking my vehicle today. I plan on bringing it to my dads shop later today and hopefully can figure out the disabling method. I was prolly screwing something up...

I used the 3 button technique successfully on my new 19 GT+PP (US). I followed the instructions almost exactly. First make sure the window lock is on, then turn on the ignition, then immediately hold down the three window buttons simultaneously while counting three seconds slowly.

Im undecided about leaving it on or off. We have a garage and I work at home, so I can usually avoid driving in freezing rain or heavy snow conditions. On the other hand, in suburbia Im not sure theres any value to automatic folding and its easy enough to turn the knob to manually trigger the folding.

Last edited:
There*s no beep or other signal to confirm the change, but the mirrors not folding when the ignition turns off indicates success.

On mine, the mirrors fold when I lock the door, not when I turn off the ignition. They unfold when I unlock the door. I*m not sure if this is connected to some other setting. I*m not even sure if it was different before the first time I disabled the automatic folding (since reenabled).

I used the 3 button technique successfully on my new 19 GT+PP (US). I followed the instructions almost exactly. First make sure the window lock is on, then turn on the ignition, then immediately hold down the three window buttons simultaneously while counting three seconds slowly.

I*m undecided about leaving it on or off. We have a garage and I work at home, so I can usually avoid driving in freezing rain or heavy snow conditions. On the other hand, in suburbia I*m not sure there*s any value to automatic folding and it*s easy enough to turn the knob to manually trigger the folding.

My thoughts too. For now *we* have them on auto (mostly because my wife thinks it*s better to have them retracted when parked and it*s her car so...yes dear). If it were my choice, and it*s not, I*d disable the auto. I do like manual via switch power folding mirrors overall though. Really wish my F150 had them..

Here's the manual page that describes the deactivation process:

32930754888_5e242e46cb_h.jpg

Worked perfectly for me on the first try.

Last edited:
Thanks again turbo. My manual is stuck in my car. I know what I was doing wrong now. Ill be using the blow dryer at a safe distance on the mirror- moving -twisting part in the morning sometime before hitting unlock on my car. Its -9C so not taking any chances. Then perform this procedure correctly. They are still currently covered using plastic bags with elastic bands lol.

Hi, on my cx5 grt with gt package, mirrors folds when I lock/unlock car, but how to permanently disable this functionality?
I tried 3 buttons, but looks like its disabling/enable auto foldings (mirrors folds out after 40 second, once ignition turned off) But how to disable folding when I am lock/unlock doors?

Hi, on my cx5 grt with gt package, mirrors folds when I lock/unlock car, but how to permanently disable this functionality?
I tried 3 buttons, but looks like it*s disabling/enable auto foldings (mirrors folds out after 40 second, once ignition turned off) But how to disable folding when I am lock/unlock doors?

See my post #15 in this thread.

Back