Post Pictures of Your CX-5 Mods, Upgrades and Accessories!

That guy hasn’t been back to the forum in almost a month, he may not see your question.
It's not urgent. If he does, he does, if not maybe someone else can recommend one. Figured I'd ask.
Side note...Here it doesn't matter how long someone hasn't been on, it's worth a try and as @hadeone mentioned, someone else can chime in and make a recommendation.

Also as a general reminder to everyone, you can use @ replies, quote posts and or send PMs to increase the chance of a response.

Just installed my new hood struts that arrived Thursday from Russia. The kit was recommended by @Sushi-N-Sake on this thread. Looks like the kit is slightly different for my 2019 as it required no cutting of rubber.

First part was super easy, requiring the install of two plates into which are screwed the mounting points. Just had to loosen two bolts around the strut, slide the plate underneath and tighten again. The left side plate is shown in the image below.

New Hood Struts_050821 (1).JPG

Then, the hard part, installing the mounting points in the hood. A long angled wrench is included which is designed to hold a rectangular nut which is held inside the hood by the provided wrench using a little tension on the rectangular nut. First one went on easily, but on the second side, the nut fell out of the wrench and tumbled down inside the hood to the bottom of the open hood near the windshield. About 20 minutes later with the help of a coat hanger, a small magnet and some electrical tape to hold the two together, I was able to fish around thru the hole closest to where the nut fell and snagged the nut with the magnet.

The second time, I put some tape of the edges of the nut and onto the wrench so the nut wouldn't fall out until I tugged on the wrench. Easy peasy this time. Right side hood mount shown in the next image.

New Hood Struts_050821 (3).JPG

Both installed struts shown in the next image. Hood is super easy to open and will go on its own after the first 30-40% or so. Easy to pull down with two fingers. This is a nicely made kit.

It took about 3-4 weeks to arrive.

New Hood Struts_050821 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Just installed my new hood struts that arrived Thursday from Russia. The kit was recommended by @Sushi-N-Sake on this thread. Looks like the kit is slightly different for my 2019 as it required no cutting of rubber.

First part was super easy, requiring the install of two plates into which are screwed the mounting points. Just had to loosen two bolts around the strut, slide the plate underneath and tighten again. The left side plate is shown in the image below.

View attachment 298296

Then, the hard part, installing the mounting points in the hood. A long angled wrench is included which is designed to hold a rectangular nut which is held inside the hood by the provided wrench using a little tension on the rectangular bold. First one went on easily, but on the second side, the nut fell out of the wrench and tumbled down inside the hood to the bottom of the open hood near the windshield. About 20 minutes later with the help of a coat hanger, a small magnet and some electrical tape to hold the two together, I was able to fish around thru the hole closest to where the nut fell and snagged the nut with the magnet.

The second time, I put some tape of the edges of the nut and onto the wrench so the nut wouldn't fall out until I tugged on the wrench. Easy peasy this time. Right side hood mount shown in the next image.

View attachment 298297

Both installed struts shown in the next image. Hood is super easy to open and will go on its own after the first 30-40% or so. Easy to pull down with two fingers. This is a nicely made kit.

It took about 3-4 weeks to arrive.

View attachment 298298
Well done 👍

Then, the hard part, installing the mounting points in the hood. A long angled wrench is included which is designed to hold a rectangular nut which is held inside the hood by the provided wrench using a little tension on the rectangular bold. First one went on easily, but on the second side, the nut fell out of the wrench and tumbled down inside the hood to the bottom of the open hood near the windshield. About 20 minutes later with the help of a coat hanger, a small magnet and some electrical tape to hold the two together, I was able to fish around thru the hole closest to where the nut fell and snagged the nut with the magnet.

Good to hear you saved it! Looks great.

I really like the trim on the rear hatch and on the bumper. They look good on your CX-5. Is the trim either side of the Mazda emblem plastic or metal? Where did you get them? Can you provide a link to the seller?
Thanks, I got the upper trim on Amazon and the bumper trim is Mazda OEM.

I really like the trim on the rear hatch and on the bumper. They look good on your CX-5. Is the trim either side of the Mazda emblem plastic or metal? Where did you get them? Can you provide a link to the seller?
I have the same trim on mine - it's chromed plastic. I got mine from eBay for $15, but the same vendor has doubled the price now (!): https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

From Amazon, High Flying Hood Struts!

As per review recommendations, I "exercised" one strut before installing the second strut. All works fantastic!

Attachments

• B2D6F56E-FDDC-47B9-B2B5-695EC09920F6.jpeg
    B2D6F56E-FDDC-47B9-B2B5-695EC09920F6.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Do you think the trim pieces will stay on? Was their curvature close to that of the rear hatch?
They've been on mine for about 6 months now without issue. They were curved, though not quite as much as the hatch (maybe 1/4 inch gap at the tip IIRC) but it didn't take much effort to push down when sticking them on.

They've been on mine for about 6 months now without issue. They were curved, though not quite as much as the hatch (maybe 1/4 inch gap at the tip IIRC) but it didn't take much effort to push down when sticking them on.
Thanks, I might order the trim for my car. They do make the back look less plain.

Installed my new aftermarket grill yesterday.

Attachments

• PXL_20210514_180048312.jpg
    PXL_20210514_180048312.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 357
  • PXL_20210514_180037703.jpg
    PXL_20210514_180037703.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 350
  • PXL_20210514_061108179.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210514_061108179.MP.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 358
Installed my new aftermarket grill yesterday.

It would look WAY better without that front license plate!

I'm also in Illinois and have been driving without a front plate on any of my cars since 1985. The only issue was when I got warned about no front plate in a written warning left on my Grand Prix in a parking lot in Elgin. That was over 15 years ago.

YMMV

EDIT: I most certainly didn't have a CX 15 years ago. I meant to type GP and typed CX by habit.

Last edited:
Additionally, please keep in mind that making critical or judgmental comments may discourage others from contributing to the thread.

Back