Post pics of your Mazda5

Still not sold on the rear, but everything else looking good.

Me too, and had planned to get a MY10 until Mazda corporate offered me this one out of the press fleet for a great price, but now I think it looks better than the older body style. It's amazing what some simple changes can make

Agree that the back is a bit frumpy though. Still need to black out the logos.

It's the taillights to me- since it's a hatchback, it just seems odd to split it in half with the horizontal lights. The 1st gen with the vertical lights was the way to go. It looks good on the Kia Soul, most minivans (not really), most vans... even the Focus hatch and wagon.

It's the taillights to me- since it's a hatchback, it just seems odd to split it in half with the horizontal lights. The 1st gen with the vertical lights was the way to go. It looks good on the Kia Soul, most minivans (not really), most vans... even the Focus hatch and wagon.

Many hatchbacks, wagons, and minivans have horizontal taillights, the problem for me is that they point down. But then again, I was never a big fan of the vertical lights on the older 5 either.

I wonder how difficult it would be to switch it back to the old lights? The hatch should be a bolt on, I think the rear 1/4 panels on this car are bolt on too. Can anyone do a photoshop? :) I recently got an offer from my dealer to come in for a 2014 and the cover showed a stormy blue colored 5, too bad its not reality, looked nice.

I wonder how difficult it would be to switch it back to the old lights? The hatch should be a bolt on, I think the rear 1/4 panels on this car are bolt on too. Can anyone do a photoshop? :) I recently got an offer from my dealer to come in for a 2014 and the cover showed a stormy blue colored 5, too bad its not reality, looked nice.

i think you would be changing out the whole rear end. is appearance worth that much to you?

i think you would be changing out the whole rear end. is appearance worth that much to you?
Beauty in the eye of the beholder argument has no ending. To me, it has always been and still is the swoopy sides that kill it. I can accept the grin, the horizontal tails is not too bad (still prefer vertical), and I like the refreshed interior more. I recall doing a 10 min MS Paint edit to remove the stilly sides and the car look 1000% better -IMO. I cannot accept those waves Curves = yes, waves = no. Why didnt Mazda just use pin strips like everyone else so I can rip it off.

Last edited:
i like everything except the front bumper and the tail lights and the interior... if it looked like our 2008 GT model, but had mazdaspeed3 suspension, SkyActiv engine, and manual tranmission, it would be perfect :D

Even more impressive is that I did all this without my wife knowing (dance)

Unfortunately the skies got overcast today, so just went out and did a quickie shoot at a parking garage close by for now.

MY2013 Liquid Silver
Lowered on H&R springs
Mazdaspeed 3 wheels plastidipped anthracite gray
Window tint

9712214835_7f214ed7b8_b.jpg

9715446186_3bd5c05c1b_b.jpg

9712214233_3c8b0a9774_b.jpg

( Better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission..... )

You das man!

Last edited:
@ Mopho - how's the Plastidip holding up? In your most recent pic, it looks like the front passenger wheel has a piece missing on the top right of the rim?

Beauty in the eye of the beholder argument has no ending. To me, it has always been and still is the swoopy sides that kill it. I can accept the grin, the horizontal tails is not too bad (still prefer vertical), and I like the refreshed interior more. I recall doing a 10 min MS Paint edit to remove the stilly sides and the car look 1000% better -IMO. I cannot accept those waves… Curves = yes, waves = no. Why didn’t Mazda just use pin strips like everyone else so I can rip it off.

You can always switch out the doors with Nissan's version of the MZ5:

Nissan-Lafesta-Highway-Star2.PNG

I always wondered what the back would look like with the lower bumper body color, and now that I have seen it, I like it the way it is now.

You can always switch out the doors with Nissan's version of the MZ5:

Nissan-Lafesta-Highway-Star2.PNG

I always wondered what the back would look like with the lower bumper body color, and now that I have seen it, I like it the way it is now.
Not sure if you've seen this but someone did a design study of an actual Mazda5 with a kodo face lift + the Lafesta doors. It would prob cost an arm, leg, and your first child to have 4 doors shipped + painted. I'm also 99.9% sure the previous gens doors are a direct swap.
http://designrm.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/mazda-5-facelift-2013/

mazda5faceliftfront_zps6d5ccd7d.jpg

mazda5facelift_zps8a1bc3d5.jpg

The Mazda 5 was the last car with the Nagare-design. I didnt like the Flow-y lines on the doors. So I have facelifted the Mazda 5 to the new Kodo-design language. It is not a very expensive facelift, because the changes arent done to expensive pieces of the car. The doors without the flow-y lines are coming from her Nissan Lafesta sister, so they dont have to be completely redesigned.

Looking at nissan's version i almost miss the wavey lines. In the end im sooo glad i bought a gen 1. To each their own but i think mazda sucked the unique character out of the 5 with the gen 2 design. Its not necessarily ugly, but it now looks like any other mom and pop minivan with random wavey lines thrown in for ... who knows. At least its smiling :)

@ Mopho - how's the Plastidip holding up? In your most recent pic, it looks like the front passenger wheel has a piece missing on the top right of the rim?

Plasti-dip sucks! After putting in a lot of time and effort to properly clean and paint the wheels, the stuff comes off to the touch. I can gently rub my finger across it and it will come off. I even did it a second time with the companies recommended "pre-dip" cleaner and bonding agent and the results were the same. I have to hand wash the car and avoid the wheels to keep it from coming off.
I am not sure what people are doing to get this stuff to stick to their cars, and maybe it's the finish on the Mazdaspeed wheels, but as far as I am concerned it's only good for testing out whether you like the color or not. Will be getting the wheels re-done with paint as soon as I get the time.

MR6 said:
Looking at nissan's version i almost miss the wavey lines. In the end im sooo glad i bought a gen 1. To each their own but i think mazda sucked the unique character out of the 5 with the gen 2 design. Its not necessarily ugly, but it now looks like any other mom and pop minivan with random wavey lines thrown in for ... who knows. At least its smiling

I think just the opposite, the Nagare is what gives it the unique character. I have driven the Nissan Lafesta, it looks just like any other minivan to me.
The problem is in it's stock form the Gen 2 is a bit frumpy, but the same can be said of gen 1, especially without the side skirts and rear spoiler. I work in the auto industry and am around car enthusiasts all the time and pretty much everyone says "wow" when they see mine. Gen 1 looks dated to me now.

Is the Lafesta tuned any differently or are all the mech bits the same as the MZ5? Does your work take you over the border much, or was the Lafesta over here as a market test?

Is the Lafesta tuned any differently or are all the mech bits the same as the MZ5? Does your work take you over the border much, or was the Lafesta over here as a market test?

It was here, didn't get a thorough enough drive to be able to say one way or another about the tuning. I am sure the suspension is tuned a bit different though.

Back