Possible to Bypass Airbag Disable Detection?

It's the passenger seat that cannot be adjusted up. It's the passenger airbag that is not always on because of the damn sensor that cannot be bypassed.
The passenger seat height definitely can be adjusted. There is a manual seat height adjustment level on the side. If you don't know how just read the owner's manual.

For 5'2", it's definitely doable to see over the dashboard and/or steering wheel if you know how to adjust the seat height. I know many drivers (or front passenger) shorter than 5'2" have no issues using the front seat belts with proper seat height adjustments.

Yeah, do not try and modify the air bag system by yourself or it may cause severe injuries!

Ok, I found the passenger seat height adjustment. I hope that will be good for the GF.

And will consider the lumbar pillow if needed.

Case closed.

Thanks to all.

Just a new Mazda owner who has real life questions, looking for help. You wanna point me to a 2016 service manual where there's a diagram for the passenger seat airbag sensors, that would be actually answering my question. Nobody here came close. Instead I received lectures, personal attacks, and shaming.

2016 service manual? passenger seat sensor wiring diagram?
Service manual, wiring diagram for 2016 CX-5 are simply not available at this early stage. Because many people at 5'2" or shorter have no issues like you described, and you have never mentioned whether or not you'd tried to adjust the seat height first, that's why people were questioning. Not trying to adjust the seat height first but thinking of bypassing the airbag system is against the logic and safety.

I'll keep on the lookout for a 2016 service manual and next time will leave personal information out of my question. That seems to affect the answers people give here.

Just a new Mazda owner who has real life questions, looking for help. You wanna point me to a 2016 service manual where there's a diagram for the passenger seat airbag sensors, that would be actually answering my question. Nobody here came close. Instead I received lectures, personal attacks, and shaming.

Both the front seats have height adjustments. You would have known that if you cracked open the manual. Instead, you are harping people accusing them of not answering your question, because you had no idea the seats could be raised. Raising the seat height voids the need for a pillow, therefore nullifying your question. Problem solved, and you don't need a damn wiring diagram.

tzr916, don't get mad. People are only trying to help (in their own way!), and nobody in their right mind will help you tamper with a safety feature on your own. Yes, the airbag disabling feature can be a safety feature. Children and people of small stature can be hurt by an airbag (eg. see this). That is why children (and arguably very small adults) should never sit up front.

Never, ever, tamper with a safety system in your car, even if you think you are doing the right thing. Car manufacturers know a lot more than you or I will ever know concerning the subtlties of car safety, and they've put that knowledge in the safety systems.

You asked a question, I provided a link to a government site with info along with the specific page numbers in your manual that will answer your exact questions. Sorry that wasn't good enough for you. No lecture, attack or shaming.

My 2010 Mazda 3 passenger's seat airbag weight sensor never worked properly. My wife, who weighs 105, usually didn't have the protection of the airbag because the weight sensor disabled it. It was reported on every service and they could never fix it. The sensor on our CX-5 doesn't disable the passenger side airbag when she's in the passenger seat, so no problem.

Last edited:
My 2010 Mazda 3 passenger's seat airbag weight sensor never worked properly. My wife, who weighs 105, usually didn't have the protection of the airbag because the weight sensor disabled it. It was reported on every service and they could never fix it. The sensor on the CX-5 doesn't disable the passenger side airbag.

I'll sit back and watch as everyone else says

"Your sensor is not broken and doesn't need to be fixed. It's safer for your passenger the way it is. Don't you dare touch it."

I applaud you for your interest in safety. Having said that, I sure hope that you have made an effort to find the info you are seeking directly from reliable sources and not simply planning to rely on what some people you don't know on the internet tell you. Perhaps you've already checked this site for info? http://www.safercar.gov/Air+Bags
More importantly, have you read your owner's manual? In particular starting at page 2-53, "How the SRS Air Bags Work".
It seems that the driver's side airbag will always deploy if a sufficient impact is detected, and the passenger side airbag will deploy if sufficient impact is detected AND if a person of a certain weight is also detected (assuming that your car has the Front Passenger Occupant Classification System). See the chart on page 2-57.

Looks like anyone can apply for an authorization letter from NHTSA to get a dealer to install an AIRBAGE ON/OFF SWITCH:

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/ON-OFF+Switch+Requests

Looks like anyone can apply for an authorization letter from NHTSA to get a dealer to install an AIRBAGE ON/OFF SWITCH:
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/ON-OFF+Switch+Requests
Airbag ON/Off switch is for turning the airbags off as airbags had also killed many people due to sitting too close to the airbag. You want to make sure the airbag is always on, which the airbag ON/Off switch couldn't do. All the sensors will still at work for smart airbag system even if you installed the switch and turned it on.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was too protect children and other light weight passengers from injury. Not simply from sitting to close, but something to do with sir bag force and body weight issues.

Back