Possible Maintence Schedule Changes

:
2017 Mazda 6 Sport
Mazda has always kept the maintenance schedules very similar between vehicles of the same generation. I've been in a 2020 Mazda 3 loaner for the last week because my Machine Grey Mazda 6 is having the same paint flaking/chipping issue that the Soul Crystal Red ones have been having. Since the dealer told me that it could be 3-4 weeks before I get my car back, I decided to download the Mazda 3 manual to see how all the new goodies work.

What was really interesting was the maintenance schedule. They focus on the maintenance minder and don't even give mile intervals anymore (except that severe driving is still 5k miles between service). The max time between oil changes is 1 year or 10k miles with the same 2.5L engine many of us have, vs the 1 year or 7500 mi interval we have now. But what really stood out is that on the Mazda 3 and CX-30, they now call for the brake fluid to be changed at every other oil change (or 2 years/20k miles), whereas before, there was no mention of brake fluid changes at all. It is very likely that this will carry over onto the other models when they get their next redesigns.

I do have to say though that the Mazda 3 brakes work MUCH better than those of any previous model, and I used to sell Mazdas, so I've driven all of them

But what really stood out is that on the Mazda 3 and CX-30, they now call for the brake fluid to be changed at every other oil change (or 2 years/20k miles), whereas before, there was no mention of brake fluid changes at all. It is very likely that this will carry over onto the other models when they get their next redesigns.

Wow! That seems excessive. I wonder why?

What is the deal with all of the paint issues? Hey, at least you get to put a month's worth of miles on someone else's car. Is paint legitimately flaking off?

I don't believe in "lifetime" fluid for anything. Unless I am reading this wrong, the current CX-5 maintenance schedule states the transmission fluid and brake fluid should last forever, their levels just need to be checked. https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets.../2018/cx5/2018-cx-5-scheduled-maintenance.pdf

Be sure to check your "tire repair fluid" (?)

My wifes 2018 CX5 says "flexible oil changes" are factory default for all of USA and Puerto Rico. Only Canada OR if driving in dusty regions, prolonged idling should use the 5k schedule.

The local dealer always sets it to 5k.....probably want customers returning more frequently. They also upsell services. (They recommened a $100 diff fluid change at 30k miles)

My brake fluid turn dark by year 2 1/2. Fortunately its an easy DIY job.

Brake fluid every 2 years seems about right.

But you made a mention in there of every other oil change? Or did I read that incorrectly. If not, I believe that is what was being called excessive.

Brake Fluid / Pads / Rotors all go in at same time. My 2nd Car I did it at 65K miles of highway driving. In CX5 I got the rear brake TSB done - so new pads in rear and new fluid, so again I will be looking at 60K-70K miles or so.
If I set my CX5 to OCI - it would recommend an oil change every 12.5K miles which is probably a bit aggressive for a 3 year old 35K miles car. After 60K + miles - Full Synthetic every 12K is feasible.

Should depend somewhat on whether you live in a dry or damp climate. I went 8 years on one car without changing the fluid with no ill effects.

Keep in mind that brake fluid absorbs moisture and these latest ABS/VSC pumps have ultra fine tolerances. If they get corrosion due to moisture you can forget warranty if you go over the schedule.

I ran the flexible oil change schedule for a while in my 2015. At 10k miles it showed 65% remaining life. Since 10k is the limit, I switched to 10k fixed. I've been running 7500 miles on my 2016.5, until the warranty is up. I can't see the point of "flexible".

Back