Poll Have you checked your transmission fluid?

Has your transmisison fluid been checked?

• Was between Hi/Low Marks on the dipstick (proper operating range)

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Was above Hi Mark on the dipstick (overfilled)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Was below Low Mark on the dipstick (underfilled)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • It's never been checked

Votes: 32 84.2%

• Total voters

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
There have been discussions regarding the transmission fluid being under-filled from the factory/dealer.

I thought maybe we could try to quantify this a little.

This assumes that the proper process was followed: car is on level ground, proper transmission fluid temperature was verified, engine was running, etc.

Point of clarification: the ATF level needs to be in “central marker area” of the dipstick, not just between “L” and “H” marks, per this pic:

transmission marker.png

Underfilled. Checked at about 5 years old, 50k miles on the odometer (checked properly).

Last edited:
You should also ask if they verified the correct temperature when measuring.

Since there’s only one member in this poll who has checked ATF level (and found it was low from factory BTW), I’ll post another two here who found the ATF lever was low from factory. Kedis82ZE8’s original post does have a picture showing the ATF level was below the “L” mark (lower line) from factory. But the picture was gone after the server update. And the ATF level needs to be in “central marker area” of the dipstick, not just between “L” and “H” marks.

Mine was just shy of this lower mark at 122F
If that red mark was where yours is, that was the same as mine.

I drained 3.5 qts from factory fill, after some experimentation, a refill of 3.7 qts got my level in the marker.

My 2005 GMC Canyon manual says to leave the engine running, and to cycle through the gears before checking.

Most vehicles I have had experience with AT level checks have required vehicle to be running. Aside from temperature variations the fluid level in pan between a vehicle running and not can be significant.

Latest posts

Back