2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
Tires: Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus
Category: Ultra-High-Performance All-Season Tires
Size: 225/45/18
Speed rating: Y
Cost: $162.50 each
Projected mileage as per Consumer Reports: 50,000 miles
Miles since new: 1000+

Rating summary: These tires are far better than any other tires (even ultra-high-performance Summer tires) I have had on any of my cars. While they were rated second (after Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ = $183 each)) in this category by Consumer Reports, the Pirellis beat the Michelins in the hydroplaning resistance and noise categories. They tied the Michelins in the dry handling and were slightly under the dry braking rating, but still better than average.

I am amazed at how well they handle on both dry and wet roads, and the noise level reduction compared to the OEMs is significant. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8P0ASPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Suspension update:
Springs: Eibach Pro-Kit
https://www.tirerack.com/suspension...oor&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=s+Grand+Touring

Ride height reduction: 1.0" front, 1.3" rear

Shocks: Koni Sport Strut, front-adjustable
https://www.tirerack.com/suspension...oor&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=s+Grand+Touring

Number of miles on setup: >10,000 miles

Rating summary: The first thing I noticed when I had these components installed was the stiffer ride combined with less sway during sweeping and sharp cornering. If you are an aggressive driver at times (or all the time), you will really appreciate the handling, especially with the Pirelli tires. I recently rented a McLaren 570S Spyder which weighs about the same as my 3 and really, on the street, I never felt that the McLaren was significantly better in the handling department. I also drove a similar McLaren on the track (5 laps) in Las Vegas and of course, it came alive! (562 horsepower will do that!)

The McLaren's seats punished my lower back whereas the 3's seats have conformed to my back over time. When I first bought the 3, the seats were a bit uncomfortable. Now they feel like I can go on a long drive without discomfort.

Looks: The lowered stance of my 3 stands out compared to most other 3s on the road. The Enkei Racing wheels provide high contrast to the 3's deep blue color.

McLaren570S_Reduced.JPG
Mazda3_Enkei PF01s.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Have those Enkeis been durable? I'm considering them for my 6, but want to make sure I don't get something that will bend more easily than factory Mazda wheels. The roads here aren't terrible, but they're subject to the same broken bits as roads elsewhere. Plus, I have need of driving on gravel roads, too.

I answered your PM, also with more details but yes, the Enkeis are more dense than most non-forged wheels, so they have been very durable, even when I bumped the rear into a curb. I was always very impressed with their quality - worth every penny.

Sounds like a really fun car!! Have you had to change any other suspension components, or is everything else OEM? Also, are you running a custom toe/camber alignment, or is everything aligned to factory specs?

When I had the Eibach springs installed, I think shorter bump stops were included but I'm not positive about that. Koni Yellow front-adjustable shocks were also installed at the same time. They feel a bit tighter than the OEM shocks. Good question about the alignment - that was done at the same shop, after the install of the springs and shocks. The receipt stated "custom alignment" so I believe it was not OEM. Total labor charge to install everything + alignment was $360 - not bad IMO.

My 3 handles somewhat like a Mitsu Evolution of fame. I know a coworker in Malaysia that has one and the ride and handling are similar. Of course, his Evo is cranking out 400 HP at the wheels so acceleration between our cars is a bit different. :D

Latest posts

Back