Pcv?

troutymouth

:
Mazda CX-9 GT 2008 AWD, Nav
Should the PCV valve on these cars be replaced as a maintenance item? It looks like it's roughly $47.

Apparently, some people believe in "why not". (30K miles, maybe)
The part is cheap, and you can DIY.
However, I don't see that in maintenance schedule.

PCV values should be a normal part of any car's maintenance schedule, it never is, but it should be.

It's never listed in the books that come with cars because most people never care about PCV valves and have never even heard of a PCV valve.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, as in like my 2003 Impala which is rocking 262,000 miles, then 47 bucks every couple of years will be worth it.

Usually they are simple to do. I haven't done it on our CX-9 yet as we don't have enough miles on it. Does anyone have instructions on how to go about with the work?

Search YouTube for such videos. Though not on CX9, but the process should be very similar.
The guy did it in less than 2 minutes.

Yeah it's pretty easy to change PCV's usually. I had one car where it was not just a valve, but an oil separator, all sorts of wild plastic boxes and tubing that went down in front of the firewall. Somewhere in that mess was the actual PCV.

I am reading up on how to replace this. There's a $50 part and a $14 part at Jim Ellis. I'm waiting to see which one I need. I also have noticed from AllData that the removal of the PCV in our cars damages it. So don't try to remove and check or lube it.

Just curious, how would it damage it?

From the service info:

A new PCV valve must be installed if removed from the cylinder head cover.
Upon removal, damage will occur to the locking mechanism on the PCV valve.

That's all I know

From the service info:

A new PCV valve must be installed if removed from the cylinder head cover.
Upon removal, damage will occur to the locking mechanism on the PCV valve.

That's all I know

That is very very interesting technically.
It is like the Mission Impossible. Once you play the disk, it destroys itself in a few seconds......

My curious mind wants to know the details also. Anyone knows?

Just got the PCV valve. It looks like the O-Ring might get pulled off when you try to remove it. The rest of it is just a grooved hard plastic shell.

Back