PCB's Unbuild Thread

When in doubt, cut it out! good use of the angle grinder lol
That axle is heaps of fun to get out when there's no room to lever it
I'm interested to see what's in the gearbox for sure!

Cool !

I've got an audience.

I'm sure to get back to it then.

It's going down to the freezing point for the next week though.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Lol

PS... Grinders make me fricken nervous.

My friend's coworker had a cutting disk explode and a chunk was embedded in his forehead right between his eyes.

I always find myself watching the cut wondering which way the shrapnel will fly. I hold one eye shut and tip my head and hold my breath.
You don't want to breathe that s*** in.

Edit: l did wear safety glasses and a dust mask but the glasses steamed up within 30 seconds and I couldn't see worth a crap.
You really need to make sure that the cutoff wheel is square and doesn't bind.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see what's in the gearbox for sure!

I'm glad you're interested because I may have given up on removing the transmission/gearbox otherwise.

I crawled under the car to undo the bolts between parts #32 and part #17 and most of the bolts just needed to be cracked free then unthreaded easily but there was a bolt at the corner nearest the firewall that was really hard to crack and stayed REALLY tight.

There's not enough clearance to use a socket so I had to use my 14 mm wrench I was laying on my back reaching up and my neck and arms stinging.
I can only get 1/12 of a rotation out of the bolt and the wrench was digging into the palm of my hand until it turned red and got really sore.

This is as far as I got after 10 minutes and it needs to unthread about an inch like the other bolt.

So I gave up for the day.

I may just try to cut it off with the grinder if I can reach it in there.

31N007 mentioned that I may not have enough clearance to slide the gearbox and its splined shaft out of the bell housing so I will probably have to cut out around where I had hacked away at the frame rail to get the cover off.

I'm going to try to go at it with the saws-all.
I'm a lot more comfortable with that tool.

The manual says to remove the cover and the fifth gear assembly before separating parts #32 & #17 but I want to see if I can keep it together until I get it off the car so I can look at things and how they mesh before I take it apart and lose half the parts. Lol

I've already got some crap on 5th gear from having the cover off.

Yep, steel bolts in to alloy castings are always fun once they've been sitting for a while!
The bolts that go from the gearbox to the engine were so tight the 1/2" impact gun didn't budge them, had to go for a breaker bar AND a 3ft extension!

Mazda reckons the gearbox can be removed separately, so there should be just enough room right?

Yep, steel bolts in to alloy castings are always fun once they've been sitting for a while!

The sucky part is that out of the 16 or so bolts that I have to remove the only one that's seizing all the way out is one of only two where I have to use a wrench instead of a socket.

Mazda reckons the gearbox can be removed separately, so there should be just enough room right?

I'm not sure about that.
The entire transmission can be unbolted and easily dropped down but I don't know how far the gearbox has to pull out of the transmission to free it.

I know that you can remove the end cover to do a 5th gear swap without removing the engine but I couldn't get the cap off without bending the metal.

I'm going to cut the whole area out so I can slide the gearbox about 2-4".

Way back when, before us kids came along, my parents were in to club level rally. They knew quite a few people who had been squished or had a good scare when a jack failed or a car fell off a stand.

Please fix it ! Who will provide all the manual diagrams if you get squashed?!

Yeah, that's the first thing I'm going to do before any more work.
I didn't do anything today though, it was snowing and it's going down to -4 C tonight.

The normal temperature is supposed to be 16 C with a low of 8 C.

My dad had an employee about 35 years ago who's husband was killed when his car fell on him.

On a lighter note, my brother in law took his car in for some work years ago and they couldn't get it off the lift, so they gave him a rental car.

It was stuck in the air for a week. Lol

i've been waiting for you to do the following

car-parts-and-car-1024x522.jpg

and then of each subsection of the car

that way you can have real-life workshop diagrams lol

I've got some real-life photos...

I can spread the parts out on the lawn when it warms up...

I have repurposed my parts car into a greenhouse...

It was -4°C last night but she didn't freeze.

PS... This looks like the 83' GLC I used to own?...

It had a sunroof too but you had to wind it up by hand...

I got this much done before my battery died...

The reciprocating saw is working great. !!

Back