Parchment vs Black leather

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Is there a difference in the quality of Parchment vs Black leather? I know the word parchment is often refered to as a color. Ed

Just color. Parchment = Light Beige leather
It makes the interior look a little more classy than plain ol' black in my opinion.
Definitely a matter of opinion. I don't care for the Parchment at all. But the Black looks great to me.

No difference in quality as far as I'm aware.

Maintenance is a different story, but the difference really isn't that big. Dye transfer can be a problem on lighter coloured seats, but if you clean your seats on a regular-ish basis using a mild detergent, you shouldn't have any issues. Black obviously hides most stains and stuff much better, so you'd probably be able to get away with not cleaning them as often.

Black leather also absorbs and retains more heat in the sun, so parchment coloured seats will be easier on bare skin, and the interior ambient temps will likely be lower compared to that of a black interior.

I was under the impression that Parchment was a thin leather that required a backing where a "Black" leather was thicker. Based on what I've heard here, I was mistaken? Ed

In this case, Parchment is only a color name. My Parchment cloth has been easy to keep, doesn't show dirt easily, and doesn't stain or rub off color from my clothes. I can't imagine leather would pick up stains either. I find it a refreshing, attractive look vs the black leather in my last CX-5.

Parchment leather typically refers to a light, creamy, or off-white color, while black leather is, well, black! The quality of the leather itself, in terms of softness, durability, and feel, should be similar for both colors within the same product line or brand.
It's about what suits your style and interior aesthetics better. Parchment can give a brighter, more open feel to the interior, while black offers a classic and sleek look.
If you're interested in exploring leather more, you might find this blog from vonbaer.com interesting.

Last edited:
i prefer the lighter colors, and i like my parchment leather overall. certain things do rub off or transfer to it, but it doesn't bother me much. the lighter color of the seats and other trim that go along with it help to brighten up the interior.

I have '17 CX5 GT with parchment interior and '22 CX5 Turbo w/ black interior.
Material wise, I would say they are similar (but note the 5 yrs difference between the two cars).
Look is very subjective. No comment on that. ;)

In Mazda marketer minds Parchment means slow
I bought the last '21 Turbo that was still available in Parchment
1704936215445.png

Last edited:
Back