Parchment vs Black leather

erhayes

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring
Is there a difference in the quality of Parchment vs Black leather? I know the word parchment is often refered to as a color. Ed

Bird-Dog

2017 CX-5 Touring 2020 CX-5 GTR
Just color. Parchment = Light Beige leather
It makes the interior look a little more classy than plain ol' black in my opinion.
Definitely a matter of opinion. I don't care for the Parchment at all. But the Black looks great to me.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
No difference in quality as far as I'm aware.

Maintenance is a different story, but the difference really isn't that big. Dye transfer can be a problem on lighter coloured seats, but if you clean your seats on a regular-ish basis using a mild detergent, you shouldn't have any issues. Black obviously hides most stains and stuff much better, so you'd probably be able to get away with not cleaning them as often.

Black leather also absorbs and retains more heat in the sun, so parchment coloured seats will be easier on bare skin, and the interior ambient temps will likely be lower compared to that of a black interior.

erhayes

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring
I was under the impression that Parchment was a thin leather that required a backing where a "Black" leather was thicker. Based on what I've heard here, I was mistaken? Ed

:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5
In this case, Parchment is only a color name. My Parchment cloth has been easy to keep, doesn't show dirt easily, and doesn't stain or rub off color from my clothes. I can't imagine leather would pick up stains either. I find it a refreshing, attractive look vs the black leather in my last CX-5.