Parchment leather on GT: staining

:
2017 SRC CX-5 GT + Premium
OK, so here in Houston a black interior can easily turn your car into an oven for at least 6 months of the year. Lighter colors are ideal for temperature management, however I noticed even at the auto show, that the floor sample with parchment was showing blue jean stains around the edges of the driver's seat (where most folks sat, I'm sure).

My family is not one that wears jeans (I never do... my husband does *sometimes* but he'd be driving maybe 10% of the time?) I have leather seats currently (a very light tan) and have never seen staining from clothing. Is that kind of stain easy to clean? I sure hope so... because even though parchment is harder to find in inventory around here, I'd really rather not have to find ways to work around a black interior. And I really wish they had grey or some other alternative interior color for the CX-5!

I too would love grey, but no way could I even attempt to do parchment, and the summers here are brutal, so I stuck to black.

I would love a two tone interior with black/grey, or even a black/blue or red color.

Hmmm, had my CX-5 with parchment leather for 15 months. I wear blue jeans EVERYDAY and weigh 180 lbs. not the slightest sign of blue jean staining on my seats. Maybe it's some kind of leather treatment folks are using on their seats causing blue jeans to bleed out ??????

Last edited:
Hmmm, had my CX-5 with parchment leather for 15 months. I wear blue jeans EVERYDAY and weigh 180 lbs. not the slightest sign of blue jean staining on my seats. Maybe it's some kind of leather treatment folks are using on their seats causing blue jeans to bleed out ??????

I think some new jeans are more susceptible to bleed as well. If they haven't been stone washed or similar they might rub off when they're new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I noticed even at the auto show, that the floor sample with parchment was showing blue jean stains around the edges of the driver's seat (where most folks sat, I'm sure).
happens a lot to car show models with the sheer amount of people jumping in and out of them. Worst example I ever saw was a Range Rover HSE a few years back at the LA Auto Show. You'd have sworn that was a two tone white / blue interior.

Is that kind of stain easy to clean? I sure hope so...
The key is treating the leather and sealing it before this can happen. I'd highly recommend Zaino's leather cleaner and Leather in a bottle. A lot of guys with CX-9's use it and I've used it exclusively in my RX-8 and BMW the last 10 years. Awesome stuff.
I would love a two tone interior with black/grey, or even a black/blue or red color.
I miss the days when mazda did that.
07-mazda-rx-8-brochure-000006.jpg

Tcccox; that's the best news I've heard all day!
When I started contemplating this car I always envisioned buying it with black leather (it's my favorite color) but the more I see the Parchment, the more I'm starting to really appreciate it.
Especially on a machine gray; it's just looks like a more 'upscale' color combination than everything drabbed in black.

Last edited:
Yea, I think this blue jean staining is a bit overblown. I never knew blue jeans were such a staining material until I started hanging here. What is it about white leather, but not tan apparently that draws dye out of jeans? Why doesn't this bleed into cloth seats? ;) I'm sure it happens... I just don't believe it's common.
We have a white leather office chair. Both wear jeans. Chair is 6 years old, at least, and looks brand new.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Modern leather auto surfaces are coated to protect them from scratching, UV etc. Optimum Leather Protectant is a product designed for these modern leathers that will not leave a shiny, greasy surface and it contains a mild cleaner. It's very easy to use--just spray it on and wipe off with a microfiber towel. It cleans the leather and adds protection so if used regularly it should avoid any jean transfer. I've used it on my leather seats for 10 years and they look as good as the day I drove the car out of the dealer.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-protectant-plus.html

Our Parchment does the same thing. I clean it off with Lexol leather cleaner and then put a coat of 303 Aerospace Protectant over it so that it's easier to clean off the next time I have to do it. I clean them every couple of weeks and the blue comes right off. I detail cars on the side and knew it'd be an issue, but I loved the contrast against the blue paint so I was fine with it.

yea i noticed some blue on my leather already. wiped off easily with lexol leather cleaner. i think as long as you're taking care of the leather, you'll be fine.

I'm in slacks every day (usually black) so i think I'll be fine with this light leather but I am curious to see how everyone else's holds up.
thanks for sharing Pineapple

Yea, I think this blue jean staining is a bit overblown. I never knew blue jeans were such a staining material until I started hanging here. What is it about white leather, but not tan apparently that draws dye out of jeans? Why doesn't this bleed into cloth seats? ;) I'm sure it happens... I just don't believe it's common.
We have a white leather office chair. Both wear jeans. Chair is 6 years old, at least, and looks brand new.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well, there certainly is some truth to it. I've pretty much been wearing blue jeans for 15+ years continuously now, and in a wide variety of washes (light to super dark). Not once have I had any of my grey cloth interior vehicles get stained blue. However, these same jeans have stained some of my sneakers around the ankle area blue. And just the other day I spilled something on myself while wearing a pair of jeans. I dabbed a paper towel with some water to clean them off, and whola, the paper towel turned deep blue within seconds of just some mild scrubbing.

YMMV

I'm wearing older Levis and it does it. It's REALLY bad if I wear brand new Levis. The transfer happens every time. I've tried changing how I get out to try to prevent the dye transfer from happening but it still happens. I have noticed that since I started cleaning/treating it the dye transfer isn't nearly as bad. It still happens, but it takes longer for it to get to the point where I decide to clean it off.

If you keep up on cleaning it off and treat the leather with some sort of sealant, it shouldn't stain. It takes me all of 10-15 minutes and I've cleaned/treated all of the Parchment surfaces in the CX-5. Just make sure to use a microfiber cloth and don't rub on the seat that aggressively so you aren't causing any long-term harm to the seat.

FYI: It's not just the Mazda. Friends of mine have a Benz ML with a really light grey leather interior and it has the same issue. A co-worker has a Lexus ES with tan interior and the side of his seat is basically just blue now.

I'm wearing older Levis and it does it. It's REALLY bad if I wear brand new Levis. The transfer happens every time. I've tried changing how I get out to try to prevent the dye transfer from happening but it still happens. I have noticed that since I started cleaning/treating it the dye transfer isn't nearly as bad. It still happens, but it takes longer for it to get to the point where I decide to clean it off.

If you keep up on cleaning it off and treat the leather with some sort of sealant, it shouldn't stain. It takes me all of 10-15 minutes and I've cleaned/treated all of the Parchment surfaces in the CX-5. Just make sure to use a microfiber cloth and don't rub on the seat that aggressively so you aren't causing any long-term harm to the seat.

FYI: It's not just the Mazda. Friends of mine have a Benz ML with a really light grey leather interior and it has the same issue. A co-worker has a Lexus ES with tan interior and the side of his seat is basically just blue now.

Interesting that you have problems with Levis. They're all that I wear and I have a REALLY bad dye transfer problem on the parchment leather. This is after weekly / bi-weekly cleaning and conditioning with Lexol. Ironically it was made far worse by the Leather Master's Dye Transfer Cleaner product that I used in an attempt to get it out. The product did nothing to remove the original dye transfer, and appears to have leeched even more dye from my jeans afterwards.

To compound matters, I bought a seat cover to protect the driver's seat from my sweat after my workouts. The neoprene backing seems to have discolored the parchment leather with a slight yellowing and a shiny surface. Wonderful. I'm having Fibrenew take a look to see if there's anything they can do with it. If not, I lucked into a complete set of OEM parchment leather from someone who had Katzkin installed from new. When I can't stand it any more I'll just have the driver's seat leather replaced and try a different brand of jeans.

Pics of the driver's seat and also the passenger / rear seats for comparison. All are cleaned and conditioned the same way. Only the driver's seat has the problem even though the other occupants (wife and daughter) also wear jeans 99% of the time.

Driver's Seat Back:

Driver_s_Seat_Back.jpg

Driver's Seat Cushion:

Driver_s_Seat_Cushion_1.jpg

Passenger Seat Back:

Passenger_Seat_Back.jpg

Passenger Seat Cushion:

Passenger_Seat_Cushion.jpg

Rear Seats:

Rear_Seats.jpg

Think of it as two tone interior parchment and blue.

But it's really bad. One news of positivity is i don't give a damn but my sand cloth seats have been perfect. Even with a toddler and zero care- two stains.

Any decent detailer can get the staining and dye transfer off of light colored seats. Before you replace the leather have them professionally cleaned.

thanks all for posting this. also thinking machine gray and parchment and I don't mind the upkeep as long as it comes off!

Latest posts

Back