Paint

99 Pro

Contributor
:
1999 Protege LX
How much do you guys think it should cost to paint a rear lip and 2 sideskirts and also do some minor fix ups (ie: fixing some scrapes on them etc.)? I know it will be different from place to place, city to city, but throw me out a ballpark figure if anyone has done it before or has looked into painting those items. I think that my body shop place is screwing me around and just want a 2nd opinion.

im pretty sure to repaint my front bumper after it was hit was between 300 and 400 after the labor charges...that included sanding it down, repairing scratches and repainting...so i would think somewhere around that price should be fair for those smaller pieces

Here is my situation dudes. I bought the sideskirts and rear lip off of someone here on the board. They have been sitting in my house now for a month and a half mainly because I am busy all week with work (out of town lots) and my weekends are crazy in the summertime, so I really haven't got a chance to ask around at shops for an estimate.

Well I finally got a chance this week to get an estimate, and I went to this reputable place here in my city because lots of people I know have gone there and say they do good work. They quoted me as it costing $1,000 CDN to do all the prep work (they need to be painted black mica....they are blue now), fix a small crack in the corner of the rear skirt, install the sideskirts and rear lip, and all the painting. Now I am no body work guy, but that sounds like alot of money to just paint some skirts and put them on. I guess I don't know the whole body work process though so maybe I am wrong. I actually took the day off on Friday to go to 4 other shops and get an estimate on what they will charge me. If it around the price that the first place quoted me, I'll have to rethink my situation.

My question for you guys is if all the shops here in town are around the same price, do you think it would be reasonable for me to paint and install these things myself (with the help of a friend)? Has anyone ever done any of this before (ie: prep, paint, and install the skirts)? I mean for about $100 I can buy an electric paint gun and all the paint supplies I would need. Sure it wouldn't be a proffesional paint job, but if it saves alot of money it might be the way to go. What do you guys think?

Sorry for the long post.

Come on guys. Lots of you have the MSP kit. How much did it cost you to paint and install? Or did you do it yourself?

For some minor pieces like that $1000 is way too much. Are they installing them for you too or what? I would just do them myself. You could go to an automotive paint mixing place and have a pint mixed or a spray can mixed. We have a shop here in Winnipeg called Rondex that will pretty much mix any colour you want and put it in a spray can. They can mix to the fade of your car as well. But they'd have to see the car. From what I remember they were relatively cheap, not like $5/can cheap but not like $1000 either. I don't know their website though.

Just did a quick browse of their site, not very complete. You'd be better off to give them a call or email them. At least the contact link works.

Thanks for the help Stormtrooper, but I found a way better place here to paint it all up and put on my sideskirts and rear skirt.

I went out today to like 5 different shops and got quotes from all of them. Some where insane high (like $1600), and some were real low (like $400 from Maaco). But I went with the shop that gave me a good feeling when I was talking to them about everything. They were like middle of the road for price and they have lots of experience putting on lip kits and stuff. When I was there they actually had 2 Hondas, 1 Acura, 1 Toyota, and a 350Z that they were putting kits on and they seem to do a good job.

So ya, my sideskirts and rear skirt go in to be painted Monday at lunch time, and then they get put on later on in the week. All of the prep, painting, drilling, and installation for $600 CDN. Pretty excited about it.....can't wait to finally get that stuff on.

Back