Paddle Shift Install - 2016 CX-5

Aren't All Cx-5s are made in Japan? I could have sworn point of origin on my window sticker said Japan.
Maybe they are all made in japan but usdm cx5 always have different stuff. Ex. Usdm Cx5 have 2 airbag connectors. Mine only has 1.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Maybe they are all made in japan but usdm cx5 always have different stuff. Ex. Usdm Cx5 have 2 airbag connectors. Mine only has 1.

Are you talking about the clock spring connectors? Maybe that is why yours is not working? You need the other CLOCK SPRING?

Here is a picture showing the difference between the two clock springs. One connector has 1 row of pins, while the other clock spring has 2 rows of pins.

29_zps6c5397c6.jpg

Last edited:
No he's talking about the actual airbag connectors. He's in the Dominican Republic which probably explains some of the differences with his car.

Are you talking about the clock spring connectors? Maybe that is why your is not working? You need the other CLOCK SPRING?
My clock spring has all 14 pins on the electric side beacuse i have Bluetooth and cruise control. What i meant was that usdm cx5 have 2 airbags connectors for whatever reason they think is needed, but jdm cx5 only have 1.

I already tested the wiring from inside the steering wheel to the big white connector of the start/stop unit and they have connectivity. Im trying to get a hold a pin layout of my actual car to see if there's a difference on the wiring of the unit. I had this problem before with the mirror autofolding kit i brought from germany. The pin layout was different at 1 point and i had to figure it out.

Last edited:
Did u manage to solve the issue? i brought back my steering wheel controls back to working order, and i would like to try again to install the wiring underneath the steering column, but since my car is japanese like yours i might have the same issue you have.

Did u manage to solve the issue? i brought back my steering wheel controls back to working order, and i would like to try again to install the wiring underneath the steering column, but since my car is japanese like yours i might have the same issue you have.
Im gonna try to change the ground to see if this would help. Ill let you know.

Sucess!!! Its working as it should now. Culprit was a faulty ground on the paddles shift connector inside the steering wheel. Took me quite a while to figure it out but its all sorted now and it works perfect!!!

789cf50c769875478086e2d1a46752c1.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered my kit, should be here in the next week or so. I hope all goes smoothly and I don't run into troubles!

Sucess!!! Its working as it should now. Culprit was a faulty ground on the paddles shift connector inside the steering wheel. Took me quite a while to figure it out but its all sorted now and it works perfect!!!

789cf50c769875478086e2d1a46752c1.jpg

Congrats! did u use the short prong harness or the long one? i want to try again this weekend

I ordered my kit, should be here in the next week or so. I hope all goes smoothly and I don't run into troubles!

Keep us posted how it goes!

there is a tab that runs across the entire width of the connector on one of the sides (don't remember witch one right now) that can be lifted with a small flat head screwdriver. This tab should have 2 small dents on it, also this tab will lift no more than 1-2 mm in total.

Let me know if this helps you.

Last edited:
My Kit came in today!!! and I installed it!!! All went well, no problems, seems to be working just fine and I'm looking forward to having the paddle shifter at my disposal. If anyone is interested the kit that is up on ebay is the one that used. I have a 2016 GT with tech and I-activesense. I haven't had a chance to try out the radar cruise control but I do not expect to have any troubles with it. Some of my wires were different colors but I figured what one went where easy enough. Thanks for all the help in this thread. One more Flappy paddle CX-5!!!!

Back