2017~2024 P0524 Check Engine Light on 3 Month Old 2018 CX-5 AWD Touring

Anyone had this happen to them? The fault code is P0524 - Engine Oil Pressure Too Low.
1. Oil level is ok, right in the middle of the high and low marks on dipstick
2. Car has 4,900 miles, almost all of it highway
3. Bringing to dealer as soon as they have a loaner available. They said this is not common for a new car.

Anyone had this happen to them? The fault code is P0524 - Engine Oil Pressure Too Low.
1. Oil level is ok, right in the middle of the high and low marks on dipstick
2. Car has 4,900 miles, almost all of it highway
3. Bringing to dealer as soon as they have a loaner available. They said this is not common for a new car.
Have you ever changed the factory engine oil yet? How many miles left on your oil life monitor in Vehicle Status Monitor?

Original oil. Flexible maintenance schedule says 2200+ miles remaining.
Other than P0524 CEL, did you see any other warning lights such as "low engine oil pressure" warning light flickering or on at all? Does the CEL keep on even right now? With low engine oil pressure, I'd try not to drive the vehicle as much as possible until the issue gets resolved.

2.jpg

I have the dealer tow it. That lite ICON says the pressure could be anywhere from 12 psi to zero. Ed

Hmm interesting. So there could be some internal bearing issue that is affecting oil pressure and they want you to keep driving it..
WVTgfeH.jpg

Only cel light. No oil light on. Car seems to run ok other than a bit of elevated rpms occasionally.

The teapot blipped (probably didn't notice since apparently it didn't stay on), and DTC was stored.

DTC P0524:00 Engine oil pressure too low
DETECTION
CONDITION
l The oil pressure switch is on for a continuous 5 s with the following condition met: (engine oil warning light illuminates
when 1 s has elapsed)
n When engine speed is above 650 rpm and engine coolant temperature is 30 C {86 F} or less
n When engine speed is above 1,500 rpm and engine coolant temperature is 68 C {154 F} or less
n When engine speed is above 2,500 rpm and engine coolant temperature is 68 C {154 F} or more
Diagnostic support note
l This is a continuous monitor (other).
l The check engine light does not illuminate.
l FREEZE FRAME DATA (Mode 2)/Snapshot data is not available.
l DTC is stored in the PCM memory.
FAIL-SAFE FUNCTION Not applicable

POSSIBLE CAUSE
l Engine oil leakage
l Improper engine oil level
l Oil pressure switch connector or terminals malfunction
l Short to ground in wiring harness between oil pressure switch terminal A and PCM terminal 1P
l PCM connector or terminals malfunction
l Oil pressure switch malfunction
l Oil pump malfunction
l PCM malfunction
file:////

I guess technically it's possible to trigger it by exceeding certain RPMs with low coolant temp (i.e right after a cold start) for at least 5 seconds

Last edited:
I had Check Engine Light issue on my new Mazda CX-5 KF too (2.5l petrol engine with cylinder on demand technology, G194). It happend 2 months after buying a car with around 1800km on it. I had not noticed any issue with the engine all looked normal when CEL turned on. I took it to dealership ASAP. They checked oil level and put on diagnostic. They found some error code (I don't have number sorry) but they just reset it, made some test ride and returned car back to me. Problem re-occurred again after around 100km. I took it at the dealership again immediately. They discussed the problem with Mazda support and replaced oil control selenoid valve, oil pump, oil pressure sensor and also connecting rod bearings (metal set conn.rod). It took almost 2 months until I got the car repaired back but it was mostly because it was new model, new engine and they did not have required spare parts on stock in EU at that time. When they got all spare parts it took 1 day to replace them. Now I have around 11000km on it (6 months since the repair) and engine is working fine no any issues so far. I know at least about 2 other people in our country (Slovakia) who had the same issue and some people in Germany reported the issue as well.

I had Check Engine Light issue on my new Mazda CX-5 KF too (2.5l petrol engine with cylinder on demand technology, G194). It happend 2 months after buying a car with around 1800km on it. I had not noticed any issue with the engine all looked normal when CEL turned on. I took it to dealership ASAP. They checked oil level and put on diagnostic. They found some error code (I don't have number sorry) but they just reset it, made some test ride and returned car back to me. Problem re-occurred again after around 100km. I took it at the dealership again immediately. They discussed the problem with Mazda support and replaced oil control selenoid valve, oil pump, oil pressure sensor and also connecting rod bearings (metal set conn.rod). It took almost 2 months until I got the car repaired back but it was mostly because it was new model, new engine and they did not have required spare parts on stock in EU at that time. When they got all spare parts it took 1 day to replace them. Now I have around 11000km on it (6 months since the repair) and engine is working fine no any issues so far. I know at least about 2 other people in our country (Slovakia) who had the same issue and some people in Germany reported the issue as well.

Welcome. Glad the issue was addressed.

Hi,
Did you get the issue resolved?

My 2018 GT also just randomly illuminated the CEL and has this same code now!?!

Very concerned at the moment. Only has 11,200 miles, and 2 oil changes both performed at the Dealership where I purchased...

Hi,
Did you get the issue resolved?

My 2018 GT also just randomly illuminated the CEL and has this same code now!?!

Very concerned at the moment. Only has 11,200 miles, and 2 oil changes both performed at the Dealership where I purchased...

Just an update here, took 10 days for the dealership to fit in an appointment for us (then of course we get there and the service manager asks "what took you so long to bring the vehicle in..."

In the meantime, I checked the oil level (both hot and cold to compare), and hot it was slightly lower at about 80% up to the full dot on the dip stick.

Anyway, they tried to blow it off, not even mentioning there was a fault code, no less speak the words "oil pressure low" aloud. Just had the vehicle for a couple of hours then said, "it's all fixed now, you're all set."
I basically had to call them out and tell them I read the code, I know what the code is and I've documented it on my own, now they have to document it in their records incase further related issues arise in the future.

I was then told they checked the oil pressure, it was "within spec", and the tech found a TSB related to the issue and they reflashed the PCM with an update.

This is marked on my paperwork as TSB Number 01-020/18
And the PCM update performed per TSB XXP67XFX

Now, let's see if the check engine light gets triggered again...?
Knock on wood this really was a non issue.
But I lay in bed at night just imagining there may have been a true low oil pressure scenario and it possibly began wiping a rod or crank bearing...

Anyone else have a CX-5 in for that same TSB?

Just an update here ⋯
Thanks for the update.

IMO you're a victim of eased tolerance of manufacturing and your engine simply got some out of spec parts assemblied into it. The PCM updates could simply just relax the range of low oil pressure warning which won't trigger the P0524 error code like it's supposed to be. The proper fix should be like ferro_sk's Mazda dealer, but that would cost too much!

Could be an oil filter thing, too. Throw out that Mexican filter and get one from Thailand, lol.

Thanks for the update.

IMO you're a victim of eased tolerance of manufacturing and your engine simply got some out of spec parts assemblied into it. The PCM updates could simply just relax the range of low oil pressure warning which won't trigger the P0524 error code like it's supposed to be. The proper fix should be like ferro_sk's Mazda dealer, but that would cost too much!

Did you buy that RAV4 yet?

Did you buy that RAV4 yet?
Not yet. I usually would wait for a year or two for any new power train or new model hopefully the manufacture would fix most of problems after the new release. I did a test drive a couple of days ago on a 2019 Toyota RAV4 XLE FWD and didnt see those crappy assembly interior trims showed in the Lexus forum. Made in Japan definitely helped. My major complaint is the engine is noisy. It seems something is loose with the rattling noise even during the idle when I popped open the hood. Worse theres no sound deadening hood liner which was there on 2018 RAV4s! The salesman said the rattling noise is from dual injectors (direct and port) for each cylinder.

Yeah definitely our CX-5 looks much nicer and drives quieter.

Not yet. I usually would wait for a year or two for any new power train or new model hopefully the manufacture would fix most of problems after the new release. I did a test drive a couple of days ago on a 2019 Toyota RAV4 XLE FWD and didn*t see those crappy assembly interior trims showed in the Lexus forum. Made in Japan definitely helped. My major complaint is the engine is noisy. It seems something is loose with the rattling noise even during the idle when I popped open the hood. Worse there*s no sound deadening hood liner which was there on 2018 RAV4*s! The salesman said the rattling noise is from dual injectors (direct and port) for each cylinder.

Yeah definitely our CX-5 looks much nicer and drives quieter.

Maybe they'll kaizen some improvements into the 2020 year. Was looking forward to it, too. Sounds like it's turning out to be a dud.

Back