P0455 - Not the gas cap

Stood by the has cap area while it warmed up yesterday and noticed it is quite stinky. Not like no CATs stink like my other car, more of a sour(?) Smell. I'm gunna crawl under when I get a chance, it'd be nice if it was just a bad hose or loose fitting

My stank was the gas tank itself a couple of years ago.

It's a big nasty, dirty, stinky and dangerous job.

My aftermarket fuel tank was around $400 CAD.

My tank was leaking at the seam.

I don't think you would smell anything but a raw gas smell from an evap. leak. (maybe an alcohol smell)

Sulfur or exhaust smell is a separate issue.

Stretch a rubber glove around the filler neck. If the filler neck is egg shaped, a glove will seal better than a gas cap.

Stretch a rubber glove around the filler neck. If the filler neck is egg shaped, a glove will seal better than a gas cap.

Huh, ... Cool.
I never heard of that before.

This is the gas cap on my parts car.
(notice how the PO wrote "check the oil" right on the cap. Lol)

It looks like a glove would fit quite nicely.

At first, I thought you meant a condom but actually, that would probably work great.

The EVAP system is under very little pressure so it's not like the glove or condom would balloon up and pop.

(my '94 Tracker had huge vapour pressure)

I don't know if you'd pass emissions like that though?

It would be too damn funny if they check the gas cap for an emissions test. Lol

I don't believe there's such a thing as a visual emissions test around here, plug into OBDII if you're good you're good.

Yeah "check oil" paired with a condom... only on a Mazda lol... jk

lol
C5192EFB-B037-4C27-90BD-3AF1195D32C2.jpeg

turns out a glove is too big for a P5s filler neck... maybe a rubber band.

Hey everyone,

Yet another P5 here with the P0455 (Large EVAP Leak detected). Could anyone let me know how the purge solanoid/ control valve went?

Also, could someone enlighten me on the difference between the purge solenoid valve and the purge control valve (mentioned by PCB).

Back