Open Passenger Door From Driver's Seat

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I can't figure out how to open the passenger door while I'm in the drivers seat when it is locked other than reaching over to the door handle. The manual shows an image of a switch on the driver's door with lock and unlock padlock symbols. However in my new Signature the with in that location shows only "Auto". It has three positions which open and close the side mirrors but when I had a friend try to open the passenger door from the outside none of the three switch positions would allow him to open it. So What's the trick?

48781589097_da164ba897_z.jpg

48781579512_dfaacea5ea_c.jpg

Huh... I wonder if they did that to protect against carjacking?

My CX-5 does indeed have the switch that's shown in the picture from the manual. To turn the auto-folding mirrors on and off, I have to go through a multi-step process, as there's no dedicated switch for that function.

...It's "new and improved". Somebody is getting big bucks to come up with this stuff..lol..

This seems like a safety concern! I'm sure there's an unlock button somewhere. I've a 2019 signature and mine doesn't look like that, but did you check for any buttons next to the door latch? Or use your key fob.

You should be able to configure your door lock settings in the Infotainment Settings. There should be options that allow for the following:

When shifting out of Park, all doors lock. When shifting into Park, all doors unlock.

I've found that this setting works best for me, as I always tend to put the car in Park whenever someone needs to exit/enter the car.

EDIT: Check the area around the Hazard switch. On some of the other vehicles I've been in, the lock/unlock switch is right beside the hazard switch.

On those without a lock button on the arm-rest, the lock lever in the inside drivers' door handle will lock/unlock all doors.

Thanks guys. Silly me, I was fixated on the arm rest controls from looking at an online manual. As pcardoza says the lock unlock is right there next to the door handle.

Thanks guys. Silly me, I was fixated on the arm rest controls from looking at an online manual. As pcardoza says the lock unlock is right there next to the door handle.

1-So you can unlock the passenger door using the lock by the driver's door handle?

2-You gotta watch those manuals you find online because they are region-specific. I got all confused early on by snagging a manual for another region. I thought I was fine...it was written in English. I got into an extended conversation here over something that did not even exist. That being said, once I found the correct one in pdf format, I use it exclusively unless I need instructions as I'm doing something at the car.

1-So you can unlock the passenger door using the lock by the driver's door handle?

2-You gotta watch those manuals you find online because they are region-specific. I got all confused early on by snagging a manual for another region. I thought I was fine...it was written in English. I got into an extended conversation here over something that did not even exist. That being said, once I found the correct one in pdf format, I use it exclusively unless I need instructions as I'm doing something at the car.

Same with the UK cars, the unlock button is within the door handle. I don't know why Mazda has different versions, surely cheaper to have one parts bin?

Same with the UK cars, the unlock button is within the door handle. I don't know why Mazda has different versions, surely cheaper to have one parts bin?

Is this how other cars are in the UK, or is it just Mazda? They might be complying with regional regs & customs.

Yes I can open with lock by door handle. Agree it is odd Mazda would have different systems for different regions.

I had a US Hyundai that worked like that.

Is this how other cars are in the UK, or is it just Mazda? They might be complying with regional regs & customs.

It's only Mazda in my experience after having Citroen, Renault, Skoda all with seperate button unlock. Can't remember the Fiat as I want to erase that heap from my memory.

Back