Off Topic One Random Fact About You

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Thats' cool. I've played mellophone and marched around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway race track (all 2.5 miles) before the Indy 500 (50 years ago).
I lived in Crawfordsville until we moved to the east coast in the early 60s. My dad used to take us to the Indy 500 Time Trials. This is when they looked like soap box derby cars. I don't know if he ever went to the races...I was pretty young.

I played Constitution Hall when in high school band. A couple of graduation ceremonies took place there. It was pretty cool to be in the back where the musicians would get ready & warm up.

I also played in the original Feline Fine Arts Center at Wolftrap Farm Park (before it burned down) for another graduation ceremony.

I assume you were in high school/college when you played at Indy? Did you see Jim Nabors sing?

Last edited:

brillo54

Resident Curmudgeon
Contributor
:
NE Indiana
:
'16 CX-5 GT FWD
I assume you were in high school/college when you played at Indy? Did you see Jim Nabors sing?
I was a sophomore and junior in high school when I did it ('70 and '71). I didn't remember Jim singing so I looked it up on Wiki and his first year doing the 500 was 1972. Damn, I feel old now. :p

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I was a sophomore and junior in high school when I did it ('70 and '71). I didn't remember Jim singing so I looked it up on Wiki and his first year doing the 500 was 1972. Damn, I feel old now. :p
You & I are the same age.

I recall when I stepped into the role of "the old guy" at work through the eyes of younger employees. They always thought I was lying when I told them people used to smoke at their desks. Jeez, folks, it's not like I said I rode a horse to work!

You gotta get philosophical sometimes...