On Track to Purchase a CX5....then I saw a 2014 Jeep Cherokee

You guys have some really good insight
Perhaps the post should have been just about seeing the Jeep as a viable alternative rather than questioning current CX5 Issues.
However, the issues people are having are a very legitimate concern, especially coming from a 2007 CR-V with no hood on window shake, rattle to
a brand new 2014 vehicle with rattles....Consider that for a moment

Cheers

However, the issues people are having are a very legitimate concern, especially coming from a 2007 CR-V with no hood on window shake, rattle to
a brand new 2014 vehicle with rattles....Consider that for a moment

Cheers

Oh jeez, don't get me started on the CR-V.

It suffers from something far more serious than hood or mirror shake (neither of which my CX-5 exhibit).

Every CR-V causes terrible isolation from the driving experience which has been known to cause deep seated psychological issues and even death from sheer boredom!

You only live once, the last thing you want to do is spend any appreciable amount of time driving a CR-V.

Packages may cost 2-3K more based on how you option but realibility may be better.
I currently have a Honda 2007 CRV and would hate to get a Lemon CX5 with the
1) Hood rattle
2) Mirror rattle
3) Rough idle

All new cars have issues though, making me think I should wait a bit...

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2013/09/coming_soon_2014_jeep_cherokee.html

http://www.freep.com/article/20130914/BUSINESS0103/309140012/jeep-cherokee

Holy crap is that ugly. I kinda like the grille but the back end looks like it belongs to two different cars.

Holy crap is that ugly. I kinda like the grille but the back end looks like it belongs to two different cars.

I hope it looks better in person, versus the early pictures seen so far.

And this is what this supposedly important person had to say:

"The first thing you'll notice, it's not a box," said Mark Allen, head of Jeep design, during a presentation Thursday in California.

Uhhhhh, I'm sold.

My 'perfect' CX-5 would be a manual transmission with lots of the higher end options (as well as AWD) so I definitely see where you're coming from.

I could not have said it better. In fact, the primary reason the CX-5 is on my shopping list is that it does offer a manual. More options with a manual would be greatly welcomed.

I have a 2014 cx5 touring and am very happy with it. The Cherokee was nice up till now. wtf did they do to it. That's why domestic vehicles suck

I sat in the Trailhawk trim today, very comfy. First thing I noticed was how "soft and plush" it was like the CX-5 compared to other brands and models. Plan on a test drive sometime this week just to compare to the CX-5. For it's price point, the new Cherokee can definitely be another contender to this competitive segment.

Last edited:
I was set on purchasing a 2014 Cherokee. Then I looked at cosumer reports and other reviews. Nice looking SUV, but expect engine issues. I then thought I was getting a 2013 Forester, but I couldn't get past the station wagon look. I loved the drive and huge sunroof. Then I went to Mazda to test out a CX5 and then saw this one on the showroom and had to get it! Not regretting it one bit, bought it a week ago.

attachment.php

I sat in the Trailhawk trim today, very comfy. First thing I noticed was how "soft and plush" it was like the CX-5 compared to other brands and models. Plan on a test drive sometime this week just to compare to the CX-5. For it's price point, the new Cherokee can definitely be another contender to this competitive segment.

So did you go for the test drive?

I did. Best way to explain would be that it drives like a Jeep. It's nice, but I still prefer the CX-5 overall. Definitely a couple things I like in the Jeep over the Mazda, but they were things like heated steering, larger infotainment screen etc... Unless you're an avid off roader, still can't see many people choosing the new Cherokee over the CX-5.

I did. Best way to explain would be that it drives like a Jeep. It's nice, but I still prefer the CX-5 overall. Definitely a couple things I like in the Jeep over the Mazda, but they were things like heated steering, larger infotainment screen etc... Unless you're an avid off roader, still can't see many people choosing the new Cherokee over the CX-5.

wut heating steering wheel?

?

The one I drove had heated steering wheel. Was a Trailhawk trim. I guess it had the cold weather package.

Last edited:
Probably the Trailhawk with its specific off-road suspensions wasn't the best option for a comparison with the CX-5

I have a 2014 GT AWD and I have not had any of the issues listed, and I'm sure that there are many others who haven't had these problems also. IMO the listed issues wouldn't stop me from buying a CX-5 as a past Jeep GC owner I would never repeat never buy another one

Back