Old creaky floor sound

agr99

:
1999 mazda protege
I replaced my cv axels, tie rod ends, and endlinks, now my front end is making this creaky almost moaning noise randomly[emoji16] , curious as if its control arm, or wheel bearing perhaps. Any help is greatly appreciated

Drove the car this morning its not really creak, more like a clunk or thunk, I'm thinking wheel bearings

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Bad wheel bearings typically rumble/growl, not thunk. How about your shock mounts?

Very possible, they're original. Any way to see if that's the issue beside pulling the strut out?

Drove the car this morning its not really creak, more like a clunk or thunk, I'm thinking wheel bearings

A clunk noise could come from a loose wheel bearing.

Jack up the car, grasp the wheel at the top and bottom and attempt to rock it.

There should be minimal movement if any. Excessive play may indicate that the wheel bearing is loose.

I did that when i did the cv joints there wasn't any play in the wheels, just thought since they haven't been greased they could have dried up (i don't know much about wheel bearings)

Very possible, they're original. Any way to see if that's the issue beside pulling the strut out?

I would think that you'd have to unload the spring. However, if your suspension wasn't making that noise before the new part installs, logic says the noise is likely to be coming from one of the installs. Have you rechecked tightness of all the fasteners?

Everything suspension wise really needs to be replaced so logic is wrong in this case, but yes everything is tight. And no i have not checked control arms and yes ball joints are crap already being shipped. Balljoints i dont think would make this noise due to it making it on initial take off from stop. Would a video help anyone?

Just wondering though because I hear a noise similar to your clunk/creak when stopping/starting and going over bumps. Have checked all my points of connection around cv axles,wheel bearings,tie rod ends, etc. and the only thing I can find visually is the ball joint is shot. Rubber seal on it is just about if not completely in two.

Yeah ball joints are crap. They are split in two. That's how everything rubber is. I will replace everything but really getting tired of this sound

Check the swaybar mounts/brackets/bushings and endlinks while you're under the car. ;)

Good point - worn sway bar links can clunk at times.

Ill jack it back up and look around again as soon as i get get a chance, thank you guys for your ideas

No problem, kinda new to the forum and just trying to get a feel for how things work around here. lol

Ill jack it back up and look around again as soon as i get get a chance, thank you guys for your ideas

Hi, just want to check as i have same noise now but only in slow speed. It is the same with you?

Kinda, if I do 15 mph and take a slight turn I can hear it go "eerrrr". I still haven't found the issue yet, but I'm working on it. I changed the lower control arms with bushings and ball joints. No play in wheels, plus the sound isn't rotational so I doubt wheel bearings. The swaybar mounts and bushings look good but they're old so I'll be replacing them with a active sway bar(maybe racing beat) with poly bushing, if I can find some. At the same time I'm getting a different noise over bumps that's like a rattle, which I think is my stock struts going out. Hopefully in the next coming months I can change them out for some coilovers, which is top of my list of to-do's, after replacing what needs to be fixed.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

Kinda, if I do 15 mph and take a slight turn I can hear it go "eerrrr". I still haven't found the issue yet, but I'm working on it. I changed the lower control arms with bushings and ball joints. No play in wheels, plus the sound isn't rotational so I doubt wheel bearings. The swaybar mounts and bushings look good but they're old so I'll be replacing them with a active sway bar(maybe racing beat) with poly bushing, if I can find some. At the same time I'm getting a different noise over bumps that's like a rattle, which I think is my stock struts going out. Hopefully in the next coming months I can change them out for some coilovers, which is top of my list of to-do's, after replacing what needs to be fixed.

thanks for the reply, as mine does not happen when i am turning but on slow speed at the start of the drive or when going from full stop. but gone when in high speed.

fyi as might apply to you, in youtube there is that eric the car guy that has a video on how to check suspension noise 101 and at the end it was the engine mount that was making the noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFbb43fwqk

Here's an easy way to test the motor mounts:
Get going like 15-20mph in 2nd gear. Now step on the gas, then let off. If the shift knob moves more than a couple cm back and forth when you do that, then the motor mounts are gone. Motor mounts are a common thing with Proteges, but mine never clunked.
On the other hand...There are a lot of 15year old rubber suspension bushings under the car. Maybe even the top hat.

It's not the motor mounts I changed them a year ago and looked at them Saturday to make sure,but the shifter did move when they were broke. I'm going to start with the easiest first and work my way down the list since it all needs to be replaced anyway

Back