• Welcome to Mazdas247. Membership is free and offers many benefits, please Click Here to learn more, thanks!
  • Mazdas247 is an Amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.

Oil drain plug flew out on highway

:
Dallas, TX
:
2003 Protege5
Got a call yesterday that my car was ready. They'd driven it from the shop in Plano to the one around the corner from me in Dallas, so I felt safe driving it a few miles around the neighborhood. I can't tell much difference in how it drives, including anything different from the new clutch/rear engine mount. I hear a new noise, a faint whirring noise when accelerating from a dead stop, like a kid learning to whistle.

The mechanic in Plano who'd been working on the car previously had sadly separated from the company, so I don't know who did the final installation. I did hear that at least one part of the assembly hadn't been done quite right but I don't know all the details. (Per the manager, the sound made was like the brakes' needing replacement, but they knew it wasn't brakes since they'd just done the vehicle inspection two months ago. He mentioned something having to do with the bell housing wasn't tightened and they fixed that. Having noticed that oversight, they then went over the whole installation before calling me.)

PB4, I'm still assuming I have an LKQ engine for now. The picture below is the extent of the paperwork I've received at this point. Konnichiwa.

1584279613570.png

:
Dallas, TX
:
2003 Protege5
I can see a couple cable-routing issues I need to return to original (spark plug wires and upstream O2 sensor), but everyone feel free to point out others. Besides the pic above, some of you will spot at least one other difference with the new engine. Any others you can see? :) I can take pics from other angles if you all are curious.

1584280010232.png

1584280028716.png

1584280042645.png

1584280055628.png

1584280075048.png

1584280092290.png

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I'm glad my meager mechanical talent enables me to change my own oil.

Hellava lot of trouble to avoid a half hour job, even if it is a pain and sometimes a mess to dispose of.

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I’m all for doing your own stuff but it worked out for you. I’d love to get a free engine because some idiot didn’t torque the drain plug.

:
Dallas, TX
:
2003 Protege5
Yeah, I used to change my oil when I lived at home with Mom. :) I just don't want to deal with fluids at the apartment. I had good Hitachi coils on the old engine and so-so Autozone plug wires, but when I checked the engine today I had mismatched coils. I've called them up to see if they've trashed the old engine yet, and if not, I'll go get them.

Here's the whirring noise I was talking about. Anyone know what this is?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3ASBDocJHzBJn9Z39
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kRLpfEqnFgAYJeKW9

:
Dallas, TX
:
2003 Protege5
In both videos you should be able to hear a (very audible) secondary noise. I think it's the exhaust shield.

Anyway, the engine is from Japan; it wasn't from LKQ but from "JDM Motors" or someone like that. I've asked for paperwork on the "new" engine and the coils/spark plug wires from my old engine. This replacement engine has one good (factory) Hitachi coil and a no-name one and the frayed spark plug wire has already shocked me once.

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I hear it now, what I believe to be my exhaust shield is louder than that but maybe mine is looser than yours.

:
protege5
I was going to say that looks like they put a JDM engine in there. That sticker is something they install during timing belt replacement, and should say the date and mileage it was replaced. Since it's all Japanese labeling and KM on the label, I'd say that motor didn't come from the states :)

They usually write the date/mileage on it with a sharpie or a pen, then put a plastic cover over the label to protect it. I'm guessing the motor was steam cleaned prior to shipping and it stripped the actual information off of it.

:
Dallas, TX
:
2003 Protege5
Yeah, you can also see the bolts coming up from the valve cover to install the plastic engine cover found on AUS/JP/EU engines. The engine looks clean inside and out and I'm assured that it's low miles. I'll tighten up the exhaust shield (or remove it temporarily) to see if it's what's making the noise. On my old engine, the exhaust shield had rusted out around the lowest bolt and I had to sandwich two steel washers on either side of the shield for the bolt to grab onto anything. It worked well, and those washers could easily not have been "reinstalled."

At least half of the brittle cable routing connectors were broken during the engine replacement, but that's to be expected. It looked like they put it back together in a hurry, because one of the coil bolts wasn't even tightened and that coil was a couple millimeters above flush with the valve cover.

The car doesn't drive differently at all, that I can tell. I was thinking the new Sachs clutch kit would be noticeable, but it's really not. Is that normal? Also, I'm not feeling anything from the new rear engine mount, and I can see that it's been replaced with my new factory one.

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 mazda protege 5
I remember reading that in Japan they have really strick emissions laws and when a vehicle hits 100,000 kilometers it must pass inspection where it may have to meet original emission limits.
Most people in Japan just get a new car at that point.

Apparently, the Japanese take way better care of their cars in general and a JDM engine is far less likely to have been abused or neglected.

Weekly Poll: Interested in the MX-30?

• Yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I want an Electric CX-3, 30, 5, 8 or 9

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • I want an Electric Mazda2, 3, 6 or Miata

Votes: 1 3.7%