2017~2024 Oil change using a non-Skyactiv oil filter

:
Mississauga, CA
:
2017 CX-5 GT
I've recently changed the oil in my 2107 CX-5 GT using a FRAM XG6607 oil filter. A few weeks after changing the oil I started researching the suitable filter for Skyactiv engine and I found that we should only used OEM filters or the ones specifically made for this engine such as WIX 57002. This started to concern me a bit and now I'm wondering whether I should replace the filter or wait for the next oil change.
Any opinions? What do you guy think?

I've been using the Fram Ultra 6607 for 45,000 miles with out any issues. However; since I found I can get a WIX for the same price, I may go to the WIX. Apparently the OEM/WIX has a slightly higher flow rate and pressure relief setting. Ed

Last edited:
Haven't been able to source locally or online a reasonable priced OEM filter, so I went with a WIX 57002. I believe they were originally made for SkyActiv engines.

Anyway, seems fine to me.

Haven't been able to source locally or online a reasonable priced OEM filter, so I went with a WIX 57002. I believe they were originally made for SkyActiv engines.

Anyway, seems fine to me.

I have been buying https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) to keep in stock. It comes out to be about $7.25 per filter if you already have Prime and get free shipping.

Edit: Just noticed it has free shipping without Prime.

I have been buying https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) to keep in stock. It comes out to be about $7.25 per filter if you already have Prime and get free shipping.

Edit: Just noticed it has free shipping without Prime.
Nice find. This seller, Avondale Mazda, is a Mazda dealer very active in online sales. But I believe the OEM filter they sell could be a Value line PE01-14-302A-MV OEM filter from Mexico although the picture shows PE01-14-302A from Japan because Japanese OEM is no longer available in the US. Ask the seller first if you want OEM filter which isnt Value line. Current standard oil filter for SkyActiv-G is 1WPE-14-302 from Thailand, which usially is more expensive than Value line filter.

Thanks for the note. From the buyer comments looks like it is the value version. The seller should have been clear and it looks like they did not answer someone's question about it.

Just an FYI...when I ordered oil and filters from Avondale a few months back, the filters I received were the Thailand manufacturered filters.

Thanks for the note. From the buyer comments looks like it is the value version. The seller should have been clear and it looks like they did not answer someone's question about it.
People have cut open Mazda value oil filter and found the internal material quality is excellent. Of course I personally like the overall build quality and packaging on Japanese filter, but it's no longer available. Thai filter is the next one I'd get. If I can't get Thai filter, I wouldn't hesitate to use Mexican value filter for my SkyActiv-G engine.

Just an FYI...when I ordered oil and filters from Avondale a few months back, the filters I received were the Thailand manufacturered filters.
Thanks for the info. I'd send an inquiry to any seller selling Mazda OEM oil filter first to make sure 1WPE-14-302 is the actual product they'll deliver. $7.25 per filter with free shipping and no sales tax is indeed a good price for an OEM Thai filter.

$7.25 is excellent price. I'd be happy with either the Thailand made or Mexican made value filter at that price. Looking at the BITOG forums, the Thailand is better, but the value line Mexico filters are good too.

Nice find. This seller, Avondale Mazda, is a Mazda dealer very active in online sales. But I believe the OEM filter they sell could be a *Value* line PE01-14-302A-MV OEM filter from Mexico although the picture shows PE01-14-302A from Japan because Japanese OEM is no longer available in the US. Ask the seller first if you want OEM filter which isn*t *Value* line. Current *standard* oil filter for SkyActiv-G is 1WPE-14-302 from Thailand, which usially is more expensive than *Value* line filter.

This is the dealer I get my car serviced at. Also purchased my Mazda6 from them. That said I still use the Wix filter only because O'Reilly's is closer.

FYI, the OEM PE01-14-302A and 1WPE-14-302 oil filters are the same filter, it doesn't really matter which one you receive.

I learned something here today, I was not aware Mazda even had value line oil filters. I know we have value line brakes for older models.

FYI, the OEM PE01-14-302A and 1WPE-14-302 oil filters are the same filter, it doesn't really matter which one you receive.

I learned something here today, I was not aware Mazda even had value line oil filters. I know we have value line brakes for older models.
No, OEM PE01-14-302A and 1WPE-14-302 are different filters although they may carry the same specs from Mazda. PE01-14-302A is made in Japan by Tokyo Roki and 1WPE-14-302 is made in Thailand by Denso. They have different construction, and 6 round holes on PE01 and 8 oval holes on 1WPE for oil passage. The physical size is different too as PE01 is a bit larger in diameter but slightly shorter than 1WPE. The result is I can't use my cap oil filter wrench for PE01 on 1WPE filter.

There're now 3 OEM Mazda SkyActiv oil filters:

OEM Mazda
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302AMade in Japan with the best quality.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.

Based on picture provided by madar, Mazda OEM value-line PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter does look different from Wix 57002. But I'd still get PE01-14-302A-MV OEM "value" filter if there's no other OEM choices! :)

All OEM oil filters from factory on new CX-5 since gen-2 are PE01-14-302B. I believe Mazda North American Operations had decided not importing newer "B" version of Tokyo Roki's filter and switched to Denso's Thai filter for cost reason. Value line PE01-14-302A-MV is a cheaper version OEM filter and it looks not as high quality as Japanese and Thai filters.

Actually there's a newer PE01-14-302B oil filter in Japan used in 2017 CX-5. Not sure if this revised "B" version Japanese made oil filter would be available in the US?

attachment.php

View attachment 216907

I got what you meant the first time (spin). This is the first time I have tried being actively involved in a car enthusiast forum. Quickly learning that if it is not a right angle, it is a wrong angle (inout)

Back