Oil Change, could this cause a problem?

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Had the car in Thursday morning for it's second oil change. Checked the oil level today, it's about 1/2 inch above the full mark. Is it too much or is it OK?

Had the car in Thursday morning for it's second oil change. Checked the oil level today, it's about 1/2 inch above the full mark. Is it too much or is it OK?
I at least would call the dealer and see what they’re willing to do (i.e. sucking some oil out via dipstick tube). But honestly I have seen this, dealers seem to be overfilling the oil all the time, happened to my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2 in disguise), which has 2-year free maintenance program by Toyota, every time the dealer did the oil change. But there’s no ill-effect, at least in short-term. One time even saved the engine when the drain plug developed a slow leak in a long road trip right after an oil change.

The danger here is that if the oil is high enough that the crankshaft is submerged, the oil can get a lot of air entrained in it, turning it into foam and causing a loss of oil pressure.

Personally, I would get it fixed.

If it were a 1/4 in or less I'd forget it but, 1/2 inch is to much in my opinion. Make sure the car is level and remeasure, then decide. Ed

No. You'd need like 7.5-8qt to reach the crankshaft. 6 wouldn't even reach the balancing shaft. 6.5 likely would. Since a shop did it, you could probably get it addressed for your time only...If I did it myself, I wouldn't bother.

No. You'd need like 7.5-8qt to reach the crankshaft. 6 wouldn't even reach the balancing shaft. 6.5 likely would. Since a shop did it, you could probably get it addressed for your time only...If I did it myself, I wouldn't bother.
I believe the tolerance of oil level is bigger than we thought. Overfill happens all the time on oil change at the dealership and we’ve never heard any foaming issue which damaged the engine.

On the other hand, from my personal experience I drove my Yaris iA with only about a half of stated 4.4 quarts oil capacity (poured in 2 quarts of oil afterwards and oil level barely reached ½ between dots on dipstick) towards the end of road trip from San Jose to LA, no low oil pressure warning light, no engine damage (it seems).

YMMV of course. And If possible, I’d like to keep my oil level at the Full mark all the time.

How did you check the oil? Warm engine or cold?

How did you check the oil? Warm engine or cold?
It doesn’t make too much difference when you check the oil level AT LEAST 5 minutes after engine shutting off, or the old fashioned way checking the oil level the first thing in the morning before the engine start. The good part for latter is you can see the oil mark on dipstick much easier without even a wipe to the dipstick.

The reason? More oil drained back to the oil pan over night to compensate a little smaller volume on colder oil.

Dealer over-fill engine oil often.
If it is just few mm over max mark, I would just ignore it.

Back