Oil change at 500 miles necessary?

Hi everyone. I got a new CX-9 a little over a month ago and my dealership told me something about changing oil once my CX-9's odometer hits 500 miles ... Is this necessary ? It might be that "break in oil" or something ..

If this servicing is needed/recommended, what kind of a cost am I looking at ?

Hi everyone. I got a new CX-9 a little over a month ago and my dealership told me something about changing oil once my CX-9's odometer hits 500 miles ... Is this necessary ? It might be that "break in oil" or something ..

If this servicing is needed/recommended, what kind of a cost am I looking at ?

500 miles is quite early.. that said, you wouldn't be hurting anything except your wallet. I did my first oil change a little early at 3k miles (5k kms), then followed the service intervals for every 5k. Try to use 5w30 synthetic that meets the specifications outlined in the manual if you can. Synthetic oils are better for turbocharged engines.

For the first 500 Miles Mazda recommends that you not race the vehicle or maintain a steady engine rpm for extended periods, or unnecessary hard braking.

So I talked with the dealership service department. They say that this 500 mile break in oil replacement thing is "something new for some 2019 and 2020 Mazda cars, that Mazda wants dealers to deal with, even though the manual doesn't mention it". They say this oil replacement is free of charge.

But then I called Mazda customer service because I wanted to confirm this story. I told the Mazda Customer Service agent (who seemed somewhat inexperienced ..) that my dealer is offering this free of charge break in oil change. The agent was confused in the start and didn't understand my question. But then he called my dealer's service department and asked them directly about this break in oil change. When he came back online, he told me it's a dealer independent program to change oil at 500 miles just to ensure that cars purchased from them keep running fine (because they may have been sitting on the dealer lot for a while perhaps, etc.). He said it's not a nationwide Mazda thing and so being a Mazda employee, he recommended sticking to the maintenance schedule mentioned in the manual because he doesn't feel an oil change is needed at just 500 miles, even if it's free or charge.

So now I'm confused. Should I get it done or not ?!

If it's free then why not. Personally I think it's way too early for an initial change, 3,000 to 5,000 miles would be more appropriate in my opinion. This may be the dealerships way of getting you in the habit of bringing the car to the for maintenance.

Back in olden times the machining process for metals, including engines, wasn't as good as it is these days. And the oils were not as good. A very early oil change was definitely an important thing to do. The break in was really the removal of small iron particles that the machining process left in place in the moving parts of the engine. Times have changed. Some people's ideas haven't.

Thanks to those who looked into this. I hadn't heard anything from my dealer, but I was wondering about it. Just hadn't gotten around to doing anything about it. Good info.

Unnecessary unless perhaps for some reason they have been sitting around for +6 months?

Well my car has a manufacturing date of June 2019. It first arrived at a dealer lot in US in October 2019 and I collected the car in the first week of January this year.

So I got the car like just after it’s 6 month birthday :p

Back