Offset question

MyZmZm

ShiftAccelerategrinRepeat
:
'02 Midnight Mica Blue P5
I currently have my P5 on the stock setup, but am probably going to be making springs my next purchase. I recently bought a set of 17" rims with a +40 offset (I don't know the width off hand, I'll have to look it up - either 7 or 7.5 IIRC) and the tires are 205/40's.

I plan to drop on either Eibachs (pro-kit) or the Ion (sport) springs, as both have a nice ride and give only a mild drop - this is a daily driver, winter :( and summer.

Questions are:

1. Will I rub given my current set-up?

2. I know someone explained it to me, but I've forgotten... How does offset work? The higher the number, the further 'out' the rim, or vice versa?

3. If I would rub, what can I do with the current rims to remedy this/what would I need to do?

TIA

It's a long read but http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9129 should tell you most if not all of what you need to know.

I have 17" x 7.5" with a +45 offset on my sedan and there is a pinky finger of gap between the inner wheel lip and my Tokico strut. I think the +40 offset brings the wheel closer to the outside of the fender, with the lower springs, the tire will probably brush on the inner fender lip - rolling the fender lip seems to be an option but I think it would still rub with +40.

Hope it helps.

Jon

MyZmZm said:
I currently have my P5 on the stock setup, but am probably going to be making springs my next purchase. I recently bought a set of 17" rims with a +40 offset (I don't know the width off hand, I'll have to look it up - either 7 or 7.5 IIRC) and the tires are 205/40's.

I plan to drop on either Eibachs (pro-kit) or the Ion (sport) springs, as both have a nice ride and give only a mild drop - this is a daily driver, winter :( and summer.

Questions are:

1. Will I rub given my current set-up?

2. I know someone explained it to me, but I've forgotten... How does offset work? The higher the number, the further 'out' the rim, or vice versa?

3. If I would rub, what can I do with the current rims to remedy this/what would I need to do?

TIA

Question Q/A:

1. Will I rub given my current set-up? Yes it will.

2. I know someone explained it to me, but I've forgotten... How does offset work? The higher the number, the further 'out' the rim, or vice versa? Offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim to the mounting face (on the cross section). The smaller the number, the further out the rim will sit.

3. If I would rub, what can I do with the current rims to remedy this/what would I need to do? Like others have done, you could roll your fenders or take the rims to a machine shop. At least 2mm from the mounting face (minimum offset with a 17 x 7 rim) would have to milled away from each rim. The second option would be expensive.

Hope this helps,

KB

Last edited:
Back