OEM type passenger motor mount

:
03 p5, 92 miata
so i ordered a set of motor mounts off ebay and the passenger mount doesnt have the mounting flange to connect it to the engine. Now im thinking of returning them and just getting the single mount, but looking at the one sold from rock auto, it looks like it wont work with awr inserts based on the design of the rubber.

so should i find a mount from a protege in a junkyard so i can use the insert or try and buy a brand new oem one? If i return the insert to protege garage i lose on shipping it back to them and they have a 25% restocking fee.

Hey, I just got mine (Beck/Arnley part) from rockauto on thursday, it looks OEM-style to me.

Have a look:

dH40W.jpg

JQecc.jpg

jRwZp.jpg

EDIT: You could always see if anyone might want to trade your new motor mount for a used OEM-style one in the FS section.

okay dude thanks a lot for those pictures!
so as it stands i can either keep the other three mounts that work and figure I paid $120 for a front, rear, and transmission mount then buy the one you got from rock auto.

i dont know the condition of my tranny and rear mount yet but im sure they are cracking. kinda wish at this point that I just did the 4 awr mounts from protege garage for $400 since at this point im spending around $280 on mounts and inserts

why would they make an insert without that mounting flange, you cant even use it!

DSC02376.jpg

DSC02375.jpg

why would they make an insert without that mounting flange, you cant even use it!

I suspect you can knock out the mounting flange from your old mount and press it into the new one. The flange isn't welded, it's just a tight fit. If I were you I'd post it in the FS section to trade, you never know, someone might want it.

well i dont want to go about knocking out that flange and ruin the mount i do have. anyway that one i got wont work with my inserts so thatll be a waste :/ . Ill post it in the fs section after i order that one from rockauto.

reut1, that is NOT a 2L motor mount... thats a 1.8L motor mount. I have sent multiple messages to the guys on ebay about these and they say its the right mount. They claim you just press out the old and press it into the new... However I do not see that being possible without fuckign it up.

ooooooo, well than thats what that is, haha. i figure it is still a good deal to get the three other mounts for $120, but maybe not. I wrote them an email saying i want to return but havnt heard anything back yet, it only been a day.

Hey, just thought I'd let you know that the AWR inserts fit in the Beck/Arnley mount. I tested it while replacing my passenger-side mount today.

is the transmission mount just the same thing as the driver side mount? I know my pass side mount is shot, the other 3 look good, so just want to make suer im not missing any other mounts that are causing my clunking!

is the transmission mount just the same thing as the driver side mount? I know my pass side mount is shot, the other 3 look good, so just want to make suer im not missing any other mounts that are causing my clunking!

Yup, driver mount = transmission mount.

Hey, just thought I'd let you know that the AWR inserts fit in the Beck/Arnley mount. I tested it while replacing my passenger-side mount today.

yeah i pulled the inserts out after a week :D. vibed way too much, especially with the cold coming.

I ordered the one from rock auto just as you guys above but the one i got is nto the same exact size as the stock on my p5. take a look at the little arm coming out of the rubber...its abuot 1/2" longer on the replacement and about 1/2" higher too:

Did I order the wrong one??

2002 MAZDA PROTEGE LX 2.0L 2000cc L4 FI DOHC
BECK/ARNLEY 1041849 (104-1849)
Motor Mount

I noticed the same thing, it was a bit more of a pain to install but it fits (you might have to play around with a pry bar to get it all aligned).

The height difference is negligible, it's the fact that the Beck/Arnley part sticks out a bit more that makes the install a little more awkward. I've been using mine for about a month and it feels great, I suppose that's what you get with such an inexpensive part. Perhaps you should contact Beck/Arnley with a link to that picture so that they are aware of the fitment issue.

EDIT: Would you mind measuring from the bolt holes (chassis-side) to the flange (engine-side) on both of them? I'm kinda curious what the actual difference is, comparing them visually is a bit deceiving.

Last edited:
Yes, will post up those measurements...I guess its time for the dremmel.....

Dremel? That won't help at all, the problem in my case was that the flange that mounts to the engine was a little too long. It still fit but the engine-side flange was a bit crooked so I made it sit relatively straight using a pry bar. If you do that you'll be fine, no dremelling required :)

I realize what I wrote above doesn't make too much sense when you read it, but trust me, when you install the mount you'll understand what I'm trying to say...

Dremel? That won't help at all, the problem in my case was that the flange that mounts to the engine was a little too long. It still fit but the engine-side flange was a bit crooked so I made it sit relatively straight using a pry bar. If you do that you'll be fine, no dremelling required :)

I realize what I wrote above doesn't make too much sense when you read it, but trust me, when you install the mount you'll understand what I'm trying to say...

If you shift it, i.e. - force it in, it does fit but doesnt that mean that the rubber will always be a little off instead of being in a neutral position?

If you shift it, i.e. - force it in, it does fit but doesnt that mean that the rubber will always be a little off instead of being in a neutral position?

Not really, it'll be center but pushed inwards (towards the passenger-side of the car).

Put down the dremel :p

i dont think mine was very different. I didnt have much of an issue putting it all back together. I just had to play with a jack under the motor to get it into the right spot.

Back