OEM Motor Mount Filling

azuelke

:
2003 Protege5 | Black>Yellow
I got some OEM motor mounts that need to be filled, what does everyone here use? I have read mostly either general caulk and windshield crack glass epoxy. Looking for some input. Thanks!

I use 3M's "Window weld", always treated me right. Just be sure to be dilligent in cleaning your mounts prior to filling or else they will not bond properly.

eh, use some brake cleaner, the aerosol stuff, and that should be fine. i used the brake cleaner and the 3M window weld in a caulk tube. so far, has held up well for 3 years.

Curious as to why one would do this? Is it a cheaper way of fixing bad OEM mounts or does it help dampen the vibrations from the engine that much more?

Curious as to why one would do this? Is it a cheaper way of fixing bad OEM mounts or does it help dampen the vibrations from the engine that much more?

reapirs torn OEM's, adds a little bit of stiffness, and doesnt transmit as many vibrations as aftermarket mounts.

Where do you guys get this 3M window weld... from the likes of Menards, Fleet Farm/Farm and Fleet?

yes Farm & Fleet has it at a good price. I've noticed pretty short expiration dates on the tubes, plus once you open it I don't think it will last long on the shelf. So plan to do all the mounts you wanna do in fairly short order.

Thanks for all the input! I just got back from running all over town trying to find some 3M windo-weld. Finally found it at AutoZone, for the ridiculous price of $20 for a tube. I looked at Menards, Fleet Farm (Farm and Fleet for eveyone else), Advance Auto Parts, and O'Rileys, all of which didn't have it.

The spare mounts that I have are drying right now, and I will give them a once over again with a toothbrush... can't be too safe. Once these go on, the old ones will be getting the same treatment.

Last edited:
Can this be used to fix bad mounts temporarily? I have major wheel hop issues even in the rain and letting off or getting into the gas too hard will make the whole car jump I just need a temporary fix untill I have the money to fix it the right way probly a few months from now

Also, since you build up 1/4" layers, will these layers reliably fuse together as one chunk, or do the layers later break apart and fall out?

3M Window Weld is just a basic windshield urethane adhesive so don't waste your time looking for a specific brand. Urethane adhesive needs a warm, moist environment to cure well so if you're in a real dry climate, like Phoenix, a few mists of water after applying won't hurt. Do it inside in cold weather. Any urethane windshield adhesive will work but, if you can, try to find the primerless type. Most require a separate primer to bond well to glass but I doubt it would make any difference here. You're basically making home-brew urethane motor mounts. The 1/4" layers are to allow a full cure. Urethane absorbs moisture to cure and it can only absorb so deep before it stops curing and will remain liquid for months, if not forever. Most auto body supply shops carry it or try an auto glass shop.

Last edited:
Back