OEM Interior lighting kit (footwell) KB7W-V7-050

So how hard is it to access the Dome Light Trigger (2019 Reserve) to install aftermarket lights that operate with the dome light?

Does this require tearing out trim?

seems like the easiest solution is to buy one of the numerous interior LED strip kits that are available on the market; most with a remote and or sound sensor to pulse with the music.

due to a simpler installation, the lights would only be on when the lights (parking and up) are on as one would tie these strips into the output of the interior dimmer switch; so that these lights would dim with the switch.

of course, this can pose an issue since the dimmer switch is now in the dash cluster unlike other cars that have it to the lower left of the steering wheel.

another possibility is to tap into the cig lighter/12V port in the center [I have a 2016 Touring, so 2017+ may differ]. Sure, the lights would be on when the car is on, but no biggy since they are LED strips. If it was that much of a concern, put an inline switch to turn them on/off when needed or a photo sensor that would do the same thing.

Most 12V wiring isn't difficult; other than popping panels and routing wires...however, these factory systems seem over engineered and more difficult than need be. For example, my '19 WRX has the interior footwell kit tap into the Hazard Button power. It requires removing the center air vents (popping panels), plugging in a Y-harness, and then feeding the wires down to each front footwell. The rears get no lights.

Last edited:
Yeh, I was thinking that leds+cigarette lighter+switch would be the easiest way to go.

Funny, after having footwell lights in many of my cars, I don't really notice that my CX-5 lacks them.

Back