2013~2016 OEM battery leaks through caps

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD
My 16 GT still has the original battery with six hard-to-turn screw caps. The caps have been leaking and the metal hold-down shows corrosion. I removed the battery and saw signs of leaked battery acid below, on the frame.
Anybody else had this happen? The battery works fine.

Yep, just get a new Group 35 battery from Costco for about $75.

AGM battery, never looked back. No adding/leaked water, less voltage drop.

Yeah, I had been looking at Costco, but they need to order it for me, and it's an hour drive. Just wondering of this had happened to anyone else. The corrosion on the frame below the battery is pretty good.

Can't say that happened to me. My factory battery lasted almost 6 years before I replaced it. Never saw any leaking or anything like that.

I replaced with the Interstate group 35 battery from Costco. $75, really the best deal you can find.

Yeah, I had been looking at Costco, but they need to order it for me, and it's an hour drive. Just wondering of this had happened to anyone else. The corrosion on the frame below the battery is pretty good.

For what it's worth now, you should probably rinse that area thoroughly with a garden hose, wash out any remaining acid, maybe hit it with a solution of baking soda first.

My 16 GT still has the original battery with six hard-to-turn screw caps. The caps have been leaking and the metal hold-down shows corrosion. I removed the battery and saw signs of leaked battery acid below, on the frame.
Anybody else had this happen? The battery works fine.

Looks like its been over filled from the last service. Use a couple of pliers to remove the caps and check the fluid level. Should be just below the breather galleries.

Back