Occasional Brake Noise Only When Backing Up?

2018 CX-5 Touring with 13K miles. Just had 12K mile service and brakes still near 100%. When backing up I hear a noise when braking. Does not always happen, never happens while braking and moving forward. Almost sounds like a rubbing noise. Any ideas? Does not sound serious, but just started a few days ago.

Quick add: I read that there was some brake dragging on rear brakes when in reverse that might be tied to the EPB. I did use the EPB for the first time a few weeks ago when having to park on a slanted driveway. The drag? noise is not constant, just brief and sometimes does not occur at all. Could the EPB be sticking slightly when disengaged?

CX-5s also have a hill assist feature that uses the rear brakes to hold position when shifting out of park. You'll hear the rear brake pads rubbing for ~2 seconds.

Last edited:
Quick add: I read that there was some brake dragging on rear brakes when in reverse that might be tied to the EPB. I did use the EPB for the first time a few weeks ago when having to park on a slanted driveway. The drag? noise is not constant, just brief and sometimes does not occur at all. Could the EPB be sticking slightly when disengaged?
Not on an 18 as far as I know and this post about a 2 second drag isn’t quite accurate. The system will indeed hold the car for 2 seconds but releases immediately when driving away.

I have a noise as well, but even when I'm not braking, just rolling backwards and I'm with a 14' car, no fency braking features. Going forward, no noise at all.

I have a noise as well, but even when I'm not braking, just rolling backwards and I'm with a 14' car, no fency braking features. Going forward, no noise at all.
Noticed the same on our '14 about 6 months ago. The sounds gradually increased in loudness and duration and when I got to checking it in earnest, I found it was caused by the rear inside pads wearing to nothing. Scored the rotors, so I had to replace pads and rotors on the back.

Check it now!

Noticed the same on our '14 about 6 months ago. The sounds gradually increased in loudness and duration and when I got to checking it in earnest, I found it was caused by the rear inside pads wearing to nothing. Scored the rotors, so I had to replace pads and rotors on the back.

Check it now!

Did the same with my '15 CX-5 Akera Auto 2.2D. When I did replace my new tyres recently, they told me my rear pads needs replacing.

So the rear pads will run down sooner then the front due to hill assist probably and using it more. The squeaking comes when I reverse out of my place.

Thanks Red. Most likely that is the issue. I have already purchased the whole brake disc/pad set for the whole car, because I have just passed 60k. I'm switching to drilled/slotted, so it would look weird to have different discs at front.

Back