:o really stupid question...

JamesCH

:
2009 Mazdaspeed3; 1991 Turbo Miata
I am trying to burn an MP3 CD for my 2009 MS3 GT, but none of the discs work. I've tried using just a generic window's burn program in vista.

Is there some trick or stupid thing I'm missing?

I've not tried the program in Vista. The one I use converts the .cda file to .mp3. Can the Vista add-in do the conversion?

Have you taken a look at those discs in Windows Explorer, to see exactly what type of files ended up on them? (Right click the "Start" button and choose "Explore.")

Are you starting with .mp3 files or with .cda or .wav files? (In other words, are you just transferring files, or are you converting & transferring?) If you are starting with .mp3's, were they purchased from a source that uses (or used) Digital Rights Management (DRM), like the iTunes store? If the files are DRM-enabled, you may not be able to burn them properly without some minor hacking, which most people don't know how to get around.

Are you using colored CD's? Some CD players won't read a colored CD. I'd stick with generic silver, just in case.

Back in the day, you also had to worry about id3 tag, bit rates, and some other format settings as you burned, but the MS3's HU is new enough that it should handle most formatting options without a hitch. If it doesn't, then "boo, hiss" on Mazda for doing it half-assed.

There are a lot of free .mp3 converter/burners available out there. I used MusicMatch Jukebox (Now Yahoo Jukebox- boo) for the longest time, but I now usually use my Zune software. If you don't have access to "jukebox" software that comes with an iPod/Zune/etc., I'd probably Google up "free mp3 burner software," or "free CD ripper software," or whatever suits your current needs.

good suggestions above.

also make sure the cd is closed. If you leave it open ended to burn to later, it wont work either.

Thanks guys. I was closing the sessions and whatnot, and they're DRM free-MP3s.

The trick to getting them to work was just using the MP3 data disc burner in Windows Media Player. Just using the generic windows burner formatted the CDs incorrectly I'm betting, but WMP worked like a charm.

Thanks.

Back