Not so bad after-all...

Just google it there is plenty of tests that have been done. No point arguing about it here.

I believe AAA published a study recently.

Testing what though? If you google the topic, most of these questions come down to "will higher octane fuel give more horsepower ".. which is really a misguided question to begin with, because that's *generally* not the point of having higher octane fuel* basically comes down to a fundamental lack of knowledge of spark timing and how increasing engine speed affects it. They rarely talk about pinging or knocking; and why would they most people reading these articles likely have zero car knowledge. It's more convenient to earn ad/tv revenue, have another magazine article etc off that common misconception than actually inform people. Funny how these stories/shows never show/address the effects of putting lower octane fuel in a vehicle (guaranteed misfiring at higher RPMS at the least)... according to these articles, nothing would happen or you would just lose horsepower. Our engine is 13:1.. if you've ever driven it in any significant heat it's very easy to feel the effect of high DA, high IAT and high load on the performance.

But then again, the average joe who isn't really paying attention to performance or rarely get's the RPMS up probably wouldn't notice (which also begs the question would they even care about any performance increase).

This aaa article https://newsroom.aaa.com/2017/12/dont-fueled-premium-not-always-worth-price/ it seems to be more about price vs benefit (which is subjective, since their tests show positive gains with premium in accordance with their topic)

Last edited:
This isnt about getting one bit more than 187bhp or whatever. Its about RETAINING all (or more of) 187hp when its hot or the engine is heat soaked and the ecu wants to steal timing.

So you don't buy that at altitude; i.e., Denver, 85 is like 87; that's what my Mazda guys told me.

I always ran 87 in my '06 Tribute, and it did fine; may just continue with it.

So you don't buy that at altitude; i.e., Denver, 85 is like 87; that's what my Mazda guys told me.

I always ran 87 in my '06 Tribute, and it did fine; may just continue with it.
I mean, I am sure it will, but I'd rather play it safe, and there is always the spontaneous road trip.

The problem is thats within the margin of error between tests. Is there some advantage where in extreme conditions you maintain power better? Maybe. I cant disprove it and its probably really hard to measure and prove.

Im not saying higher octane cant be used for improving performance or efficiency and I understand what it does.

What Im saying is simply in its stock form the Skyactiv 2.5 isnt designed to take advantage of it. Ergo I dont think its worth the extra money. And I say stock because tunes may change that. They certainly do in the tuning scene for the GTI and ST where you get specific octane tunes and people mix e85 to get higher than typical pump gas. This works well until you start exhausting the capabilities of the fuel system. That can be upgraded though... on it goes.

That being said it wont hurt using premium and if it makes you happy go for it.

This other AAA report previously linked to in "Octane?" thread

http://publicaffairsresources.aaa.biz/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Premium-Fuel-REPORT-FINAL3.pdf

2016 Mazda 3 w/2.0L
Using Premium 2.36% increase in max horsepower
"A difference of 3 percent in maximum horsepower output is not quantifiable from the driver*s seat during normal, even aggressive driving."

This article does discuss differences in timing w/Premium during aggressive driving. There are some graphs.

It could be placebo but plan to finish year out on Premium and then change back to regular to see perceived refinement declines. I usually put premium in when I am towing anyway.

I've not dyno'd this rig but if the premium gets me around 4.34 HP and my Racing beat muffler may give me 2.21HP and 5.21 ft-lbs of torque.

Just conjecture on my part but would I then feel an extra 6.55 HP from this motor putting it at around 190.55 HP? I'm not a tuner.

Because 6hp is about half a tank of gas. Is your car faster when jts down to 1/2 tank in a way you will be able to quantify seat of the pants?

At the same point, back when i was in the ls1 car scene, those would run significantly slower when heatsoaked because of how they pulled timing. Quantifiably and undeniably slowe. Several mph slower traps, etc. If youre using premium to keep the car from pulling timing, that may well be a legit improvement sest of the pants, especially under load in hot summer weather. Towing is a good example.

I dunno the guys I know running the tunes and really high blended octane still heat soak. Im not sure if its a sure fire solution. Like if youre heat soaked youre heat soaked.

What youre needing is better cooling. Upgraded intercoolers are needed if youre pushing most of the turbo stuff much.

I dunno the guys I know running the tunes and really high blended octane still heat soak. I*m not sure if it*s a sure fire solution. Like if you*re heat soaked you*re heat soaked.

What you*re needing is better cooling. Upgraded intercoolers are needed if you*re pushing most of the turbo stuff much.

Its still going to heat soak. Higher octane helps.

Here is some history about "Mazdaspeed" since a lot of us are into numbers and performance.

Latest posts

Back