Not a build, but a maintenance question.

centelred

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I have a problem currently with my engine using oil. I have also noticed, a small leak that came up recently (after i ran some BG and put 10w-40 hoping to slow the usage). Well, now i'm making the executive decision to do a rebuild. My concern and question about this however is, how do the cylinder walls usually hold up? Has anybody had problems with scoring at all? I have 114,500 miles and counting, and i keep up with the maintenance. But i'm not the only owner of this vehicle, i'm the 3rd. I just don't want to get a full rebuild kit, at standard size and have to turn around and buy oversized and bore it out.

I have no problems with compression or anything. It runs pretty well, i think some performance is faltering because of this 10w-40 oil, or i'm just really scared of starving the engine of oil. Either way, if anyone has any answers to this question i would appreciate the input.

Thanks guys!

Normally it's your oil control rings that are stuck. Bad oil control rings won't show up on a compression test. Before you decide to rebuild your motor I would suggest changing your pcv valve and fix your oil leak.

Back