Noob Turbo Question.

FX-MAN

:
2006 Mazdaspeed6
So... I get the turbo, I know why/how it works blah blah, but this is my first turbo car I have ever owned.. so obviously the first one I have considered tuning.

If I want intake and exhaust, would I want/need to upgrade the stock BOV? Since I can't hear it, I am assuming it's not the highest quality and should probably be replaced. Anyone know much about this? How hard is it to find a BOV that would work with the car? Is it a car-specific mod, or do BOVs tend to be generic?

Last edited:
the sound, i do not have a ms6 but i have a protege with a bov and before i had the bov i had a recirc valve (dumps the air back into the intake) which is what i believe the ms6 has. when u shift the extra air has to go somewhere...a bov vents the air into the atmosphere, a recirc dumps it somewhat quietly back into the intake and it gets used again!!

damn u edited ur first post while i was typing.............lol.............my reply still answers ur question i think. a recirc valve is fine and wont cause stalling issues like a bov........

LOL.. yeah, it sounded like I had no idea what a BOV does... I understand what it does, I just was curious why I couldn't HEAR it, and was concerned about boost spikes (especially since I plan to upgrade the intake). Is there a reason to want a BOV over a recirc (other than the sound)? Wouldn't air recirculated be hotter than fresh air from the intake?

Why did you switch out yours?

Last edited:
unless you are boosting some major psi to justify the need of it, or just want the noise, i would say no. but wouldnt blame you if you wanted to hear the noise. i think most people would be suprised as hell to hear a mazda6 blow off.

You should keep you're bov stock don't waist money on it use it some where else, you should only replace the bov if it start to leak other wise no point IMO

well. I do love the sound of a BOV. lol. I am more curious if there is a benefit from them. I was reading an article that said (for a different car) if you want to do anything that would increase boost (even a CAI) then you want to upgrade the stock BOV.

with such a high tech car, i wouldnt be suprised if an intake would just make the car loose power. that has been a problem with imprezas. exhaust would probably make the biggest differance

yea, you would get flamed for chaning the BOV or intake on your WRX unless you had over like 400hp.

ms6 has a recirc if i am not mistaken............anyway..........i switched mine out since i show my car it is less hoses in the engine bay........ so to clean it up i switched to a bov and moved my maf to the pressure side.......... (so i would not stall) i love the sound also........... i wont lie......... scares the s*** out of some people!

i love the sound too. supposedly on the WRX it makes the car rich inbetween shifts, but i still might get one anyhow. i dont race the thing, and its probably such an anal retentive thing that i wouldnt even notice the difference. if it does truly make a difference, i would just sell it. plus, i have never actually seen any AFR charts or anything to prove those peoples statements, its just like a he-said she-said thing.

I was just reading up a bit more on this, sounds like it would be a bad idea either way.... Air is measured at the front of the intake, adding a BOV will make the A/F mix overly rich and could result in stalls. Doesn't sound worth it to get a cool sound out it.. if there are no performance gains associated with it, it's really not worth it.

you get used to not stalling it. basically what causes it to stall is you coasting to stop in neutral...once you get used to downshifting instead of coasting, it pretty much goes away.

i know alot of wrx's that upgrade to the hks ssqv (i think those r the letters) and they all have the damn whistle.......... they dont complain abt it being rich during shifts and most of them are laptop tuned!

if you search around you will see, a lot of flamming about BOV goes on, and when i newb signs up with that mod, the first thing most people tell them to do is take off the BOV and then a huge debate ensues.

Back