Non-HID Headlight Bulb Suggestions?

:
2021 RDX A-Spec
Hey all,

I'm disappointed in the performance of the stock non-HID headlights. I don't want to mess with buying an HID upgrade kit, but I'm thinking some aftermarket bulb replacements might help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

silverstar ultra's, I had some before I went HID and they look like 4K hids, they throw down so much light.

Definitely some of the best halogen bulbs you can get... but I disagree with them looking like 4k HID's... they might "look" like them, but not when you have both types side by side... the difference becomes quite apparent

I recommend the PIAA bulbs. I've heard too many stories about the silverstars (and the nighthawks for that matter) generating too much heat and melting the wiring harness connection.

On the CX-7 I had no problems, these are Ultra's and they're different from the regular silverstars.

Sylvania said:
Las Vegas, NV (Oct. 31, 2006) – SYLVANIA will showcase its newest lighting solution for safer night time driving, SilverStar ULTRA™ headlights, at AAPEX 2006. SilverStar
ULTRA headlights provide up to 25 percent increased down road visibility, increased side road visibility and up to a 20 percent brighter light, compared to standard halogen headlights. They also last up to 30 percent longer than regular SilverStar headlights.

Hey all,

I'm disappointed in the performance of the stock non-HID headlights. I don't want to mess with buying an HID upgrade kit, but I'm thinking some aftermarket bulb replacements might help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I suggest PIAA as well. I've gone through tons of brands of aftermarket bulbs on my last car (Honda) and the PIAA are the only ones that didn't burn out.(bj)

Alright, I think I'm gonna go with PIAA. Apparently they offer two in H7. Which ones?

Xtreme White Plus (55W, 4000K)
- or -
Star White (50W, 3800K)

The difference is only $10, so I'm leaning towards the Xtremes so long as no one assesses that they get too hot. The CX-7 manual says that 55W are available for the low beam halogens, so I assume both are safe. Any thoughts?

I ran Ultra's in my Protege 5 for 2 months, then upgraded to HID's and then swapped em into my wife's car for 2 months and they blew. I have read too many stories of Ultra's going out in our cars. I'd suggest PIAA. I've been running thier Plasma ION yellow H3 bulbs in my fogs for a while and I bought them used and still have no issues.

If you want to compare HID's to Silver Star Ultra's to Stock, I've got a pic with all 3 beam patterns. Lemme dig around for a bit.

Tylor

Hey all,

Thanks!

I'd say the CX-7 has the best non HID projector set up outthere. The cutoff is soo straight and bright.

Silverstar ultra FTW!

bdw6ti.jpg

Sooo, I got the PIAA's and then realized how ridiculous it is to replace the headlight bulbs on the CX-7. Are you freakin' kidding me?!?!?!

Does anyone have any tips? In particular, some of those plastic screws won't unscrew (they just spin in place) per the owner's manual instructions.

I'm about ready to just have the dealership screw with it. What a downright stupid design. It's gonna be great when people try replacing bulbs on 8-year old CX-7's after the wheel well plastic has brittled and hunks start breaking off of these cars.

Latest posts

Back