Non-functional parking brake and rear caliper replacement

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
Thanks pcb,
I should be clear, the seized lever was on the old caliper which is gone and done with now, having been replaced today. The lever on the new (junkyard) caliper has full movement and appears to be working great. I was mainly mentioning it because the cable doesn't seem to be 'retracting' out fully when the parking brake is disengaged, totally regardless of the caliper's operation. The parking brake cable still moves in when you pull the lever, just not fully out.

I've seen the diagram in the service manual which shows the mechanism responsible for splitting the one handbrake lever cable into the two individual cables for each side's caliper. However, when I traced the cables back towards the front of the car, they disappeared into the underbody and I don't know where that 'split' happens to be able to take a look for an issue.

Edit: For reference, this is the 'split' I'm talking about. 04-12-2 in the factory service manual.

View attachment 229064

If your passenger side p-brake is working properly, with full movement at the caliper, then the front and passenger cables, as well as the split, are probably working properly.

The split is located under the heat shield below the p-brake handle.

When the p-brake handle is released, the factory spring on the caliper is supposed to pull the cable fully out.
(the one circled in red.)

In my case (and probably yours too, ) the boot on the cable failed, water got in and rusted everything up inside the cable.
It wasn't fully seized, it was just binding enough that the factory spring didn't have enough tension to pull the wire out, so I added the extra spring to add enough pressure to pull the cable out.

My replacement cable moved so freely, that I didn't need the second spring anymore.

I'm pretty sure that you have the same problem that I had and a new p-brake cable will fix it.

You will have to remove the heat shield to access the "split" to disconnect the old cable from the "split".

You can put pliers or screwdriver on the lever connection point on the caliper to see if you can pull the cable out fully.

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
Another thing I remember is that the bolts that hold on the heat shield thread into weld nuts and most of my weld nuts broke free.
Then the bolts and nuts just spin, so I had to kinda hack my heat shield off.

A lot of guys just deleted their heat shield but I managed to get mine back on without any rattles.

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
If your passenger side p-brake is working properly, with full movement at the caliper, then the front and passenger cables, as well as the split, are probably working properly.

The split is located under the heat shield below the p-brake handle.

When the p-brake handle is released, the factory spring on the caliper is supposed to pull the cable fully out.
(the one circled in red.)

In my case (and probably yours too, ) the boot on the cable failed, water got in and rusted everything up inside the cable.
It wasn't fully seized, it was just binding enough that the factory spring didn't have enough tension to pull the wire out, so I added the extra spring to add enough pressure to pull the cable out.

My replacement cable moved so freely, that I didn't need the second spring anymore.

I'm pretty sure that you have the same problem that I had and a new p-brake cable will fix it.

You will have to remove the heat shield to access the "split" to disconnect the old cable from the "split".

You can put pliers or screwdriver on the lever connection point on the caliper to see if you can pull the cable out fully.
Okay, I totally get what you're saying now. You're probably right. I tried to pull the cable out of the sleeve by hand a few times but it seemed pretty stuck. It does pull inwards fully when you pull the handbrake though, just not as much as the other side. Still not 100% sure but I'll drive it for a while and re-check later to see if it's still happening. I went for a drive after finishing the install and it held fine on a steep hill, so I think it'll be suitable at least for now along with keeping the car in gear. Certainly better than nothing.

Thanks for the help!

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
.... It does pull inwards fully when you pull the handbrake though, just not as much as the other side.

As long as it releases enough to not drag the brake, you should be good for a while but it's probably not going to get better.

I even removed my old cable (before I got the parts car.) and strung it up to drain oil through it but I didn't work.

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
I even bought one of these things to try and spray oil down inside the cable.

It kinda worked but the cable still had too much friction.