No Roof Rails

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I wonder why Mazda chose not to include roof rails when all the other SUVs in the same league seem to have them. Question of looks?

Yes, looks. They spoil the sleek aero look, even though they fit in with the SUV genre.
Some makes have the rails integrated with the roof.

My 2014 came with the rails standard. The 2019 without. I guess they just didn't think people used/wanted them enough to make it worthwhile nowadays.

A pain in the butt if you don't want them. Difficult to keep clean and wax around. Most others vehicles of this type don't offer them as standard unless part of a package.

I would guess that most people have no need for them and would rather not pay for them. Mine came with them, would have preferred that it didn't as it just raised the price. I paid for something I will never, ever use. Sadly it was the only car in my color withing a few hundred miles.

Yes looks, that's what I thought. And yes I can imagine the majority of owners don't need them. I on the other hand do as I live on a country property and periodically need to buy boards, fenceposts and so on. I would own a pickup as well but can't afford the extra vehicle tax.

Looks/cost. IMO they should be standard, this is a small SUV and some "SUV stuff" like roof rails would be welcome. At $400+ from the dealer its ludicrous pricing.

The CX-30 comes with them standard on the higher trim and IMO improves the looks on its small stature.

I would guess that most people have no need for them and would rather not pay for them. Mine came with them, would have preferred that it didn't as it just raised the price. I paid for something I will never, ever use. Sadly it was the only car in my color withing a few hundred miles.
Same here, essentially, although I have used them a couple of times. I could have gotten aftermarket either cheaper or some with more versatility like Thule or something.
They do increase the utility at a low cost.

When I bought my 2019 GT-Reserve, every GT-R and Signature model on the dealer's lot was already fitted with roof rails. It was done at the factory as it was listed on the factory window sticker and not on a supplemental dealer installed additional cost sticker. I asked the salesman why, and he said that customer surveys indicated that they looked better. The cross rails were still optional. I guess I like how they look. But I will never attach the cross rails or carry anything up there.

When I bought my 2019 GT-Reserve, every GT-R and Signature model on the dealer's lot was already fitted with roof rails. It was done at the factory as it was listed on the factory window sticker and not on a supplemental dealer installed additional cost sticker. I asked the salesman why, and he said that customer surveys indicated that they looked better. The cross rails were still optional. I guess I like how they look. But I will never attach the cross rails or carry anything up there.

Same thing when we got our Sig in December '19. I also prefer the look with them installed.

Also, they are installed at the port, not the factory. Still, a way better option than having an inexperienced tech at the dealer doing it. They can't even be trusted to put your plates on correctly. One of the vehicles I purchased several years ago was delivered to me with the rear plate upside down!

The rails were one of the final negotiating points when I bought the car. Told the salesperson I preferred not to have them and wasn't going to pay $400 extra for something I didn't want. I told them they could remove the rails and sell 'em to somebody else, but she said they don't do that. Anxious to close the deal, she gave me an additional $400 off the price and a pair of the filler plates from a car that was having rails installed for another customer.

Removing the rails got put on the back burner long enough that I got used to seeing them and they're still on the car a year later. The filler panels are up in the rafters if I ever decide I want to swap them out.

The rails were one of the final negotiating points when I bought the car. Told the salesperson I preferred not to have them and wasn't going to pay $400 extra for something I didn't want. I told them they could remove the rails and sell 'em to somebody else, but she said they don't do that. Anxious to close the deal, she gave me an additional $400 off the price and a pair of the filler plates from a car that was having rails installed for another customer.
$400? Mine were listed at $250 and the sales guy said they might be able to delete them but I decided to keep them. I could have gotten some for less but they matched the paint.

$400? Mine were listed at $250 and the sales guy said they might be able to delete them but I decided to keep them. I could have gotten some for less but they matched the paint.

Are we both talking about the side rails? I looked at my original paperwork showing the port-installed side side rails have an invoice price of $320 and retail price of $400.

I think roof rails help complete the look. Particularly fond of when they are black. You can buy after-market black ones, or do what I did, take the original ones off and paint them black. Super easy

Are we both talking about the side rails? I looked at my original paperwork showing the port-installed side side rails have an invoice price of $320 and retail price of $400.
Yeah, 4 years ago they were cheaper I guess.
I bought some OEM crossbars from an online dealer at a discount.
My rails match the paint but the crossbars are black.
I've seen Subaru and Toyota integrated rails that are black (abs?) and they look sturdy but they kind of remind me of Dodge Caliber somehow.
I put them all back on just before the 4th of July, planning a camping trip. I notice a slight additional sound I didn't hear before. Probably the crossbars mostly but I have a feeling the rails contribute. They don't seem like they could help the aerodynamics any.

Someone mentioned rails on the cx30. It also has considerable black body cladding on the fenders. Ok, but that's not exactly the cx5 look, if you ask me.
It might make for an interesting cx5 version, though. They could offer a cx5 with a off-road/cross country option package.

IMO the cars look better without!

Attachments

• 20201128_164635.jpg
    20201128_164635.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 156
I think the roof rails look cheap and prefer the car without them. Installation involves cutting some other trim, so it isn't reversible without replacement parts. Our dealer puts them on most of their inventory, I think for the markup. When negotiating, they kept quoting cars that had them installed and I had to look through their inventory and point out the ones that didn't have them.

Another reason they may not come from factory is they may slightly degrade fuel economy and/or noise, vibration , and harshness. We see the lengths Mazda went through to improve fuel economy by 1/2 mpg or whatever with cylinder deactivation.

Last edited:
I have removed and reinstalled mine several times, with and without the crossbars, and I can definitely hear them.

I was astounded that the CX 5 didn't come with roof rails. The dealer wanted a fortune for them, plus I would have had to wait up to two weeks for them to get them and install them. This is Colorado where nearly everyone carries skis, bikes, paddle boards, kayaks, hang gliders, you name it. All the other vehicles in this class come with side rails, and then you buy whatever aftermarket rack you want.

I always have a top box on for gear, and usually one bike rack on top and two on a hitch mount behind the car. I told the dealer to forget it and bought the Mazda side rails online. I had them in just a couple of days and installation was just a matter of removing the plastic covers and bolting the rails on. They were going to charge me $200 for 20 minutes labor. The only problem was that I couldn't find any black ones, so I ended up with chrome, but I can live with it.

I then first bought the Mazda crossbars, but found them to be pretty useless. I ended up with a Yakima rack that attaches to the side rails, and now the car functions like an SUV should.

Back