NO floor heat?

scottychop

:
2016 CX-5 Touring
Hi all,

First Mazda, first post. I just picked up a slightly used (14K) Cx-5 and didn't manage to notice that absolutely NO heat comes out of the footwell when the dial is switched to floor. All other positions seem to work ok. Any chance others have had this same problem and know the fix?

Scott

There is a TSB on poor heater performance. The heater core can become blocked with crystals and needs reverse flushing. You don’t say how old the vehicle is but if its under warranty, you should take it to a dealer.

What model do you have? Is it a Sport? I thought there was a TSB but it related to AC issues... might be a vacuum line issue if it is a Sport model.

November 2015;

DESCRIPTION
Some customers may complain about an insufficient heater performance even after the engine reaching normal operating temperature.
CAUSE
Crystallized foreign substances may be generated causing clogging of the heater core and a shortage of the engine coolant circulation.
MASS PRODUCTION CHANGE TBD
SUBJECT VIN RANGE
REPAIR PROCEDURE
If you receive a customer complaint on this concern, diagnose by comparing the two temperatures of the heater hose IN and OUT to the heater core. If there is difference in the temperatures, flush the heater core to remove out the foreign substances using the procedure in the next page.

do you get any air flow in the foot wells?
If you don't, it's probably a stuck air control door or disconnected control cable.

.....or a blocked cabin filter? Are you saying heat DOES come from the other directions? If so, its probably as piotrek says.

Last edited:
did no one read the OP?

"absolutely NO heat comes out of the footwell when the dial is switched to floor. All other positions seem to work ok."

fixed. Whew. disconnected cable to the flaps. Looks like the PO did a little work in there...

thanks.

So has anyone experienced the blocked heater core? My wifes B6 A4 is notorious for blocked heater cores. I was having to back flush it almost every fall in order to get heat to work. I finally broke down and replaced the heater core, not a fun job, nothing is fun to work on with that car. Audi = Lies in Engineering! I hope I don't have similar issues pop up with the CX-5 in the future.

fixed. Whew. disconnected cable to the flaps. Looks like the PO did a little work in there...

thanks.

Good news and thanks for the follow-up report.

It's amazing how many issues with newer cars can be traced back to the last bozos who worked on it (sometimes even the "trained" service tech).

So has anyone experienced the blocked heater core? My wifes B6 A4 is notorious for blocked heater cores. I was having to back flush it almost every fall in order to get heat to work. I finally broke down and replaced the heater core, not a fun job, nothing is fun to work on with that car. Audi = Lies in Engineering! I hope I don't have similar issues pop up with the CX-5 in the future.

European cars tend to have way too complex yet poorly designed Heating/Cooling systems.

Back