NHTSA Safety Ratings on 2017 Mazda CX-5

Personally, I've never found the muscle car segment appealing. Sure, some of the numbers are mind-boggling, such as some of the new Camaro variants. But not once have I ever even considered buying one... not even interested in a test drive.

Give me a Grand Tourer any day of the week.

Its good to have choices!

When Japanese cars came to US, different manufacturers adopted different sales tactic
1. Japanese went with reliability
2. Germans with performance and fun to drive.
3. US makers went with Marketing. 8,000 off MSRP!!

The problem with many Mustangs / Camaro's that I see is they are very fast in a straight line, but a bunch of corners come and a 6 year old Civic overtakes all of them. Pitiful.

I put a spreadsheet together of the 16 CX-5, 17 CX-5, CR-V, rouge, rav-4, and escape.

They are all very close to each other. A few stick out but in honesty they are well within the "Good" rating threshold.

Exampls is the L-M moment of left femur of driver in 16 CX-5 vs 17 CX-5. Both got good rating but the 16 measured 148Nm where the 17 measured 41Nm. The threshold for good is +-254Nm.

CR-V and CX-5 (both years) are split pretty evenly going either way depending on the measurement.

When Japanese cars came to US, different manufacturers adopted different sales tactic

The problem with many Mustangs / Camaro's that I see is they are very fast in a straight line, but a bunch of corners come and a 6 year old Civic overtakes all of them. Pitiful.

I dunno, the new Camaro's and Mustangs are pretty good at the twisties.

Hard to call twins a fad when they were never really strong sellers here despite some initial hype..that said combined they still sell in roughly miata numbers, and easily outsell 370zed and gt-r and its 50 or 60 monthly units combined albeit on tighter margins to be sure. So I'm passionate about diesel not from vw and the twins as once the golden children they've become red headed step children mainly because the turbo never came but you know what-with the slight bump and gearing tweaks for 17..no need. Its a niche car and a tough one to live with if you can't have 2 rides..many want that second ride to be a vert..twin me!

Can't speak for Stang 1st hand but i can tell you the V6 stick Camaro rs for 31 or 32k sticker impressed the balls off of me. It doesn't quite have the effortless agility of the twins but its much larger and heavier. I just wish that size translated into more usable space but speaking of safety...being able to see objects is pretty important in ones ability to avoid them and that alone is where Camaro lost me..its scary bad in that regard.

Can't speak for Stang 1st hand but i can tell you the V6 stick Camaro rs for 31 or 32k sticker impressed the balls off of me. It doesn't quite have the effortless agility of the twins but its much larger and heavier. I just wish that size translated into more usable space but speaking of safety...being able to see objects is pretty important in ones ability to avoid them and that alone is where Camaro lost me..its scary bad in that regard.

My friend drives on as a Daily - driving it is based on Assumptions.

I think muscle cars are perfect for Texas. Lots and lots of straight highway roads here.

Going back to topic. Based on what was said regarding the NHTSA ratings being relative to each vehicle in the category. It looks like the 2017 CR-V has raised the bar since it seems to be the only one with 5 star crash ratings on all tests. So this means that all other vehicles in the category could have scored better than the previous models, but not as good as the new CR-V, hence they got just 4 stars on some tests.

I think American Sports Cars are superior, but not our daily commuters.

You might be right....

But there's nothing in the US that will match the curb appeal of the upcoming M8. I'll keep my M4, even if it is "inferior" to a Demon...

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

You might be right....

But there's nothing in the US that will match the curb appeal of the upcoming M8. I'll keep my M4, even if it is "inferior" to a Demon...

Your M4 is competition with the Jag and V cars. Not some engine-only Dodge.

I'll see your M8, and raise you a GT.
black-and-orange-ford-gt-profile-on-road.jpg

But...keeping within the price-bracket of the M8...

Here is your Jag.
2017-Jaguar-F-type-SVR-101.jpg
(it comes in other colors...)

Jag is sex on wheels and if I wanted to play in that price range..easy choice...I'll even take the orange but w/black calipers pls.

Last edited:
The twins are alright unob..and evidently even STi division didn't feel the need to offer more power. Opportunity lost? For STi version even the purist in me has to say yes it is...should have featured an SC good for min 30-40 more..but I'd probably still opt for livability and bargain price of the non-STi limited anyway, I could always bolt on the huge wing if I feel slighted by others being larger than mine:)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a9990839/subaru-brz-ts/

Last edited:
The twins are alright unob..and evidently even STi division didn't feel the need to offer more power. Opportunity lost? For STi version even the purist in me has to say yes it is...should have featured an SC good for min 30-40 more..but I'd probably still opt for livability and bargain price of the non-STi limited anyway, I could always bolt on the huge wing if I feel slighted by others being larger than mine:)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a9990839/subaru-brz-ts/

I'd take an STi over a Mustang every day and twice on Sundays.

Jag is sex on wheels and if I wanted to play in that price range..easy choice...I'll even take the orange but w/black calipers pls.

yeah, i'd take the Jag over the Ford GT any day of the week. And that exhaust..... ahhhhm music to my ears. Vaaaaarrrroooooooooooom Pop Pop crackle Pop.

(guitar)

Back