NHTSA Safety Ratings on 2017 Mazda CX-5

Why not ? Chrysler can react nearly immediately to a stupid "Moose avoidance test". Why can't Mazda react to a test that has its results mandated by the US government to be on a window stickr?

Just because one country's government says something doesn't mean the rest of the world will follow. Mazda may listen but all depends on other countries test results.

Plus this isn't even in the same league as that.

That is why I will reserve judgement until more countries test results are out.

Last edited:
I don't believe Mazda is going to be too concerned with just one rating from a specific country. Now if it performs the same across Euro NCAP or ANCAP then they might do something about fixing it
As I said, a true safe vehicle should perform well in all crash tests, not just in IIHS or ANCAP. For NHTSA crash test, Mazda should have prepared very well as the test method and procedure haven't been changed for years. Many auto makers may even have been "gamed" certain areas to score better from the test. Yeah you can disregard the US government official safety rating in Australia, but if you encountered a crash condition similar to the NHTSA setup in a side crash, your front and rear passengers may not be doing very well even if you're in Australia.

The tests change over time. If you're going to compare stars across model years, the test changes need to be mentioned as well.

I recall the 2013 CX-5 had one of the best rollover numbers they'd tested up until that time. So they revised the test and rebuilt the testing machine. Now it's harder but that doesn't mean the vehicle is less safe.

As I said, a true safe vehicle should perform well in all crash tests, not just in IIHS or ANCAP. For NHTSA crash test, Mazda should have prepared very well as the test method and procedure haven't been changed for years. Many auto makers may even have been "gamed" certain areas to score better from the test. Yeah you can disregard the US government official safety rating in Australia, but if you encountered a crash condition similar to the NHTSA setup in a side crash, your front and rear passengers may not be doing very well even if you're in Australia.

Thing is our test scenarios could be exactly the same but interpretation of the results could lead to different results such as handles that crash better.

It should be noted that I am just a lay person trying to interpret crash results etc

Well I do want to see the details. I mean tests have to draw the line somewhere. What if you have an 89 instead of a 90 so you get a B instead of A? It doesn't mean you are a horrible student.
It could be that the particular car they tested BARELY lost the 5 star (but it could also mean than it barely made the 4 star). Until the details come out it's hard to say.

No this's definitely not the case for Mazda CX-5 as NHTSA hasn't changed any testing method or assessment ratings in recent years. Besides, other competitors such as 2017 Honda CR-V and 2017 Toyota RAV4 haven't shown any ratings getting downgraded than last MYs.

Sometimes a brand new model may suffer some minor downgrades on safety ratings but the manufactures usually can quickly fix the flaws for next year based on NHTSA's crash results. For 2016 CX-5, the huge sudden downgrade from 5 to 3 stars on 2016 MY's passenger side frontal crash was a big surprise. The downgrades to 4 stars on front passenger side and combined rear seat from side crash for 2017 CX-5 this time is a big surprise to me too, as most "safer" vehicles have been getting all 5 stars in every category from NHTSA's side crash for years. Mazda should be well prepared getting the best crash ratings from NHTSA crash test as the testing procedures haven't been changed for many years!

Another safety rating from NHTSA for 2017 CX-5 surprises me a bit. With lower and wider design plus G-Vectoring Control, 2017 CX-5 still scored the same as 2016 CX-5 on Rollover Resistance percentage. And it has more tendency to roll over than a 2017 Honda CR-V! (uhm)

Here's the most important thing about post-2010 NHTSA tests:

NHTSA has also fundamentally changed the way it assigns the star ratings. Whereas under the old system the scores were based on a calculation of likelihood of serious injury, the new system will compare cars with each other. So it won't be enough for, say, a car to provide good head protection. To get a top score it will now have to provide better head protection than most other cars. Source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/08/crash-test-101/index.htm

In other words, vehicles must improve as their competitors do. The new model didn't perform worse than years past - the competition got better! So if they want to regain the top spot, they'll have to revise again next year. This is good for everyone!

The tests change over time. If you're going to compare stars across model years, the test changes need to be mentioned as well.

I recall the 2013 CX-5 had one of the best rollover numbers they'd tested up until that time. So they revised the test and rebuilt the testing machine. Now it's harder but that doesn't mean the vehicle is less safe.
Yes DOT has proposed tougher test method with new safety features found on the new vehicles as it's getting too easy to get 5 stars nowadays. I believe the last changes on NHTSA crash test is in 2011 MY.

Yes DOT has proposed tougher test method with new safety features found on the new vehicles as it's getting too easy to get 5 stars nowadays. I believe the last changes on NHTSA crash test is in 2011 MY.

reread his post.. it's news to me, but it looks like NHTSA now bases its stars on how the car did relative to other cars.

I knew it, things have changed hence different results

Don't go jumping to conclusions now.

It's a different (1" lower) car with different (reclining) seats and the detailed test report for the 2017 CX-5 isn't available on the NHTSA site yet, so we can't see the injury measures yet.

Don't go jumping to conclusions now.

It's a different (1" lower) car with different (reclining) seats and the detailed test report for the 2017 CX-5 isn't available on the NHTSA site yet, so we can't see the injury measures yet.

Wasn't jumping to conclusions. Was just commenting in relation to my earlier post re possible changes to testing/measurements etc

Wasn't jumping to conclusions. Was just commenting in relation to my earlier post re possible changes to testing/measurements etc
It still won't change the fact the 4-star ratings on front passenger and combined rear seat ratings from side crash, which are inferior to most competitors where they're almost all getting 5's. And the 4-star Overall score is inferior than 5-star 2017 Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4.

It still won't change the fact the 4-star ratings on front passenger and combined rear seat ratings from side crash, which are inferior to most competitors where they're almost all getting 5's. And the 4-star Overall score is inferior than 5-star 2017 Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4.

Hold your horses. As far as I can tell they haven't actually released test numbers yet, the vehicle appears to have only been very recently tested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ2CuIdpIdw The current star rating may be carried forward from the previous year.

The technical report isn't available yet - that's where the raw data will be.

IIHS seems to have some numbers up. Looks like side impact is good and moderate overlap is good so far. They also have release the technical numbers as well.

Can't see myself buying anything domestic... ever. Sorry Trump. Lol.

I can't see it either. I haven't owned a Domestic car in over 10 years...I've never bought a brand new domestic car. My last new was assembled in Regensburg, and the Current one, Munich. The wife's last three new cars were assembled in Japan.

I can't see it either. I haven't owned a Domestic car in over 10 years...I've never bought a brand new domestic car. My last new was assembled in Regensburg, and the Current one, Munich. The wife's last three new cars were assembled in Japan.
Agreed. There's just nothing I've seen out of the American cars that I find appealing.

Plus I've had my Jeeps and their respective issues lol! Enough to scare anyone away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agreed. There's just nothing I've seen out of the American cars that I find appealing.

Plus I've had my Jeeps and their respective issues lol! Enough to scare anyone away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think American Sports Cars are superior, but not our daily commuters. I know I'll take a lot of flack for my first sentence, but you can flog the s*** out of a Corvette or Camaro for 100K+ miles with barely any maintenance, and it's going to be running great. I did it for 150K miles. Try that with a BMW M3 or a 997 (991's haven't been out long enough), and you'll end up with a TON of money in either PM, or repairs. They also out-perform their Euro counterparts at a fraction of the cost in every possible way. The Euro cars are a bit more plush inside though, or at least they were until just recently. The only sports cars out of Japan are the Miata, GT-R, and 370Z, of any popularity or note. The 370Z, I owned. Totally over-priced in every aspect. The GT-R? It's a legit beast. The Miata? Not the dynamics I like, but it's a damn good weekend-warrior on a budget, and noone can effectively argue against it in that regard.

My probably unpopular .02.

No flack from me i just wish i could see out of that damn Camaro..but you forgot 86/brzed...?

Back