Nexen Rodian HP 275/45VR20

:
'12 CX9 Ron Burgundy Edition
I recently bought a set of 20" 10 spokes to replace the 18" snowflake wheels on my '12 Touring model. Since I am buying winter tires for the 18's and needed tires for the 20's, my tire guy suggested I try a set of Nexen HP suv tires on the new 20's for $130 each installed. He claims that his other customers have gotten 35,000 plus with no complaints. We will see. (rolleyes) I am a Michelin guy.

I went with the P275/45VR20 size since they were much cheaper than the stock 245 size. I will keep everyone updated.

Apparently, they have a roadside assistance program and hazard warranty.

Here are some links and pics-
nexen roadian-hp

IMAG0770%20%28Small%29.jpg

IMAG0772%20%28Small%29.jpg

Update - First 200 miles we could not get these tires balanced. Two different shops and a roadforce failed. Too much roadforce (45lbs). He swapped them out to a new set of Nexen N'Fera Ru5.

65,000 mile warranty
Same size 275/45VR20

Initial impressions with approx. 1200 miles on them:
Quiet on the highway, much quieter than the Roadians. I like quiet tires...
Very good in the rain for stopping and accelerating. Although they ought to be as they are brand new.
Sometimes seem to hold a memory after sitting for a while. I get the shakes at 60 for the first mile or so.

http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/high-performance/n-fera-ru5

Last edited:
UPDATE - Alright, as the official guinea pig for the Nexen N'Fera Ru5, here's a 6,000 mile update at first rotation.

NOISE -Quiet tire not any louder than the awful Bridgeston HL400 and the expensive Michelin Primacy. No muted roar like the Roadians.

WET TRACTION - Very good in the rain. I have driven in heavy rain with standing water and these tires have not pulled, tracked or slid. I pulled a hard U-turn at an very wet intersection and the tires didn't slip or slide. I am more than impressed. My wife even commented on the lack of hydroplaning.

WEAR - The Nexen website indicates the tire starts with 10/32" and all four are still 10/32" after 6,000 miles.

Last edited:
Question I have an 08 grand touring with 20's will this tire size fit my car as well standard tire size is 245 50 20. I was looking into this as an option but I wasn't sure if it would fit / rub or not? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I love the look of the wide footprint! My wife also has the 275 on her Q7 and it looks awesome!!!!

275/45/20 won't rub anything, but I think they recommend 7.5 or 8" wide wheels. That is just a recommendation though, and you can run them if you want.

Proper (suggested) width just will give a better contact patch for the tire, for proper wear and tear.

In the pics from the other person above though, they don't look to bulge too much on the OEM 20x7, so I don't see much of an issue.

Just as Rawyzf said, no rubbing or contact issues. I went with this size because there were more choices. Then I got real cheap and tried the Nexens N'Fera. The jury is still out on those...

I too was worried that it would cause the tire to crown since the manufacturer recommends a wider rim. So far it doesn't seem to but I only have 6000 miles on the set. 275/45/20 usually carries an XL designation meaning "extra load capacity" denoting greater weight carrying, stiffer sidewall, etc.

I had 18" oem wheels before so I can't comment on the ride with these tires but I really thought it was going to be rough. I get compliments from passengers all the time on how nice the car rides on the interstate.

Funny just noticed your in St. Louis I was just there last week.

My wife has Hankooks on her Q7 and they held up nicely, but that is her factory size. Any suggestions on other tires to put on? brands? 60,000 mile warranty is pretty good!!!

ok so my tire place just told me that they wouldn't recommend this Hankook because it's been discontinued. He said he would recommend the nexen over the hankook. But he didn't care for the nexen's either. He said the Toyo's would be a better fit. The catch is the Toyo's have no warranty. IDK what to do now.

The Hankook Ventus AS was discontinued because it was a line offered for such a long time. Not for any flaws. If you research, they have pretty high owner ratings. Ive never owned a set, but just from researching on them, id have no issue picking them as my next tire. Ive only ever owned one pair of Nexans, and they were a sport tire, but they were much rougher then the Falkins they replaced and probably wont purchase another tire from them again.

UPDATE - Alright, as the official guinea pig for the Nexen N'Fera Ru5, here's a 6,000 mile update at first rotation.

NOISE -Quiet tire not any louder than the awful Bridgeston HL400 and the expensive Michelin Primacy. No muted roar like the Roadians.

WET TRACTION - Very good in the rain. I have driven in heavy rain with standing water and these tires have not pulled, tracked or slid. I pulled a hard U-turn at an very wet intersection and the tires didn't slip or slide. I am more than impressed. My wife even commented on the lack of hydroplaning.

WEAR - The Nexen website indicates the tire starts with 10/32" and all four are still 10/32" after 6,000 miles.

UPDATE - 12,500 not so gentle miles

Wet Traction - Still excellent!
Noise - Still relatively quiet. Not as quiet but still very good.
Wear - 10/32.

I am sorta amazed as I am a tire nazi. So far so good! These were DISTURBINGLY cheap tires. Although, I have owned many tires that s*** the bed around 20,000 miles. So we will see. The Blizzaks are on now.

Last edited:
UPDATE - 30,436 miles

Wet Traction - Still very good. Very resistant to hydroplanning at highway speeds!
Noise - Noisy but I didn't rotate like I should have.
Wear - 8/32.

Back