New (to me) P5

KBrian

Contributor
:
02' Protege5
Hi All, I spent 3 years (2009-2012) on this site as a Mazda5 owner. Sold the 5 in Mar 2012 but I'm back with a 2002 Protege5. I cant believe that i'm admitting this , but I do not know if it is an LX or an SE. In fact, I know nothing beyond facts about the specific car.

5 speed with 122 km. CAI and fart can, aftermarket 15" wheels that look dipped, 205/55 tires (worn). It has rear discs so maybe its not an LX. Does have a 1.6, though. Has rust bubbles on the rear wheel arches and a bruise above the driver's side headlight. Big double-din Pioneer head unit with blue tooth and a bad ABS sensor on the dr side rear wheel. Other than that, I know nada. Any advice for a Protege newbe?

BTW, its great to be back here and looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of a Mazda again.

Congrats and welcome back. The P5 AFAIK did not have any trim levels. The Protege Sedan, however, did have DX, LX, and ES trim levels.

Last edited:
No trim levels on the P5 that I know of, and only offered in 2.0 liter engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rust is a huge problem on these cars. You should fix the rust you see and invest in undercoating. To do it right, you will have to take off the front fenders, the rear fender liners, and open the hood. It's not a matter of just spray bombing the underside of the car.

The 2.0L's are notorious for burning oil, but I see you have the 1.6. Must be a Canadian thing?

Has the timing belt been done?

Hi All, Thanks Hank3, Katapaltes and Maroon for the info. I don't have the car till Monday evening. I cannot check anything out till then. I may have blanked while under the hood as I was looking for crash damage and hidden rust. Could be a 2.0L. Hope so.

I plan on stripping the wheel arches down to bare metal and filling any holes. I hope to dump the fart can muffler too. Any advice on something that doesn't have the low frequency drone at midrange revs?

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8e1ae886a8388898ef4b4093ede60c41&oe=56B96F3B

Welcome back!

Some info about the P5 :

All P5 have the FS/DE 2.0 engine

Black leather seats are optional

ABS was optional

Power sliding-glass moonroof with sliding interior sunshade (optional)

6-disc CD changer (optional)

Sport AT 4-speed auto (optional)

Polished alloy wheels (optional)

That's just some of the optional extras you could get with the P5

Sounds about right. Thanks for the info, Mazda_1920. ABS is the only item from your list on my P5. Aftermarket double dinn pioneer head unit and speakers, crappy 15 in black dipped wheels. Ist task is to find a silencer for the fart can.

Bought a set of 17 x 6.5 inch alloys with crappy tires that have no chance of fitting the P5 (225/50-17) but the price ($140 with wheel nuts and a socket) was too good to pass up. Will post photos when the weather lets up (wind and rain). I am torn between 205/45 and 215/45. I want to ensure clearance of the struts/brakes while maintaining ride quality and durability. How does fitment on the P5 compare to the MSP (215/45-17)?

I saw an otherwise bone-stock P5 yesterday with 215/35-18's on lace alloys. The wheel wells appeared stock (not rolled) and had normal looking clearance.

I know that there are lots of postings for Proteges on this forum, but I have had difficulty finding postings showing what people have mounted on their P5's without any other mods. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

It depends on wheel offset mainly.

I have +40 and they rub the rear without rolling the fenders. +35 would've fit better and still cleared the strut. This is with a 215/45. No rubbing on the front though.

The ride is as good as it was when I had 205/55s on the stock wheels.

Last edited:
^^ +35 would stick out 5mm more than a +40.

And I'd stick with either a 205/45 or a 215/40. 215/40 are cheaper and easier to find. I've had 215/45s and I wouldn't recommend it. Major torque loss.

Back