New to Mazda, new owner of CX-5 Signature. Where is...

I do NOT wish to start a religious war about motor oil, but still wonder why synthetic oil is not used. Also, the recommended 7,500 mile oil change interval seems awfully long for non-synthetic oil.
To be fair, OEM Mazda 5W-30 oil has been available long before the 2.5T coming out. Mazda acts too slow to switch the product to be a full synthetic, or may be there’s a long-term contrac preventing them to change. It’s all cost issue, and not many people are using OEM oil anyway unless it’s an excellent oil like Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil.

Up to 7,500-mile / 12-month “Flexible” OCI on CX-5 is not long for today’s standard. Toyota has 10,000-mile / 12-month OCI. In Europe any car can easily have 17,500-mile OCI.

If you aren't using the Flexible setting, the OCI is every 5000 mi or 6 months, whichever comes first.
That’s Schedule 2 maintenance interval only for severe driving conditions. Mazda still recommends using “Flexible” OCI for severe driving conditions as the computer will calculate the proper OCI for you and give you an oil change due message.

That’s Schedule 2 maintenance interval only for severe driving conditions. Mazda still recommends using “Flexible” OCI for severe driving conditions as the computer will calculate the proper OCI for you and give you an oil change due message.

I was not suggesting that Ladd follow Schedule 2, I was simply clarifying that the 7500 mi OCI was for the Flexible setting. Rather than make assumptions about his environment or his driving habits, I chose to clarify the info so he could decide for himself.

The first time I have ever heard a brand new CX-5 has 0 miles on the odometer. A new CX-5 had been driven to test-drive a bit in factory, to get on the shipping boat in Japan, to get off the boat at the port of entry in the US, then most likely to get on and off the train ⋯ The least miles I’ve heard here was 3 miles on the odometer including mine which was special-ordered and I watched it unloaded from the truck at the dealership.

We were at the dealer when the truck came in with ours. I don't remember exactly what the OD showed at that time, but when I pulled in my driveway it had 3 miles on it. The dealer had a porter take it for gas and back. We also live less than a mile from the dealer.

If you aren't using the Flexible setting, the OCI is every 5000 mi or 6 months, whichever comes first.
I've always taken issue with this every six month oil change interval.
I mean, I don't drive a lot to begin with, and now even less during this pandemic situation.
I'm lucky if I drive it 1,000 kms (600 miles) every six months.
It just seems ludicrous, wasteful and expensive to do an oil change every 600 miles.
With today's high quality oils, it's just not necessary.

Yes that Mazda OEM 5W-30 oil is not full synthetic and lots of gen-2 CX-9 owners with 2.5T, who are changing the oil at Mazda dealership, are using it without knowing it. The oil is supposed to be the same as Castrol GTX 5W-30.
I don't think we know if the Mazda 5W-30 is conventional or a synthetic blend. Castrol GTX has versions of each.

Idemitsu has their 5w-30 oil in the new GF6/SP standard out

71Yf-H2guNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've always taken issue with this every six month oil change interval.
I mean, I don't drive a lot to begin with, and now even less during this pandemic situation.
I'm lucky if I drive it 1,000 kms (600 miles) every six months.
It just seems ludicrous, wasteful and expensive to do an oil change every 600 miles.
With today's high quality oils, it's just not necessary.

I don't think its based on the quality of the oil. It's more about the moisture that can build up in that time, especially if the car isn't driven a lot. If the car is driven enough, the engine gets hot enough to evaporate the majority of moisture that accumulates. If the car isn't driven often enough (or if the engine doesn't reach operating temps due to frequent short trips), moisture accumulates and isn't given an opportunity to evaporate. The 6 month interval is meant to account for that additional moisture, to ensure that it doesn't build up enough to result in any damage.

I generally drive the assumed "standard" 12,000 miles a year, sometimes a bit more, this year a lot less. I just figure oil and filter change is a maintenance item that I do twice a year, spring and fall, and generally when I swap the winter tires on or off. I don't put too much thought into saving money, is it wasteful, etc. - I just do it. And I use the OEM filter (the Thai ones now) and the OEM oil Idemistu Zepro which is the moly oil that came with my CX-5 from the factory. My biggest decision now is what to do for oil since Idemitsu will no longer be making Zepro.

Oh, and for you Castrol users out there, Amazon Prime Day special offer is 20% off the 5 gallon jugs. For example, Castrol Edge 0W-20 is $17.90.

I mean, can't you just check the color of the oil to tell whether it needs to be changed or not??

I mean, can't you just check the color of the oil to tell whether it needs to be changed or not??
Or just let PCM calculate your driving condition and tell you when you need to change oil.

Or just let PCM calculate your driving condition and tell you when you need to change oil.
Anyone know offhand what parameters the PCM uses in its calculation? It could know that you're driving a lot of short trips where oil doesn't get up to operating temperature. It can't know if you're driving in dusty conditions or if you're pulling a trailer.

Anyone know offhand what parameters the PCM uses in its calculation? It could know that you're driving a lot of short trips where oil doesn't get up to operating temperature. It can't know if you're driving in dusty conditions or if you're pulling a trailer.
Hard to tell, But Mazda does recommends Flexible OCI even if you’re driving in severe conditions (Schedule 2) which include your scenarios.

Next question, this one regarding the folding exterior mirrors:

The online owner's manual says the mirrors will auto-fold when you turn off the ignition. The paper manual says they will auto-fold when you lock the car.

As my mirror only auto-folds when I lock the car and I would prefer that they auto-fold when I turn off the ignition, is there a setting somewhere that I can change to get that behavior?

Next question, this one regarding the folding exterior mirrors:

The online owner's manual says the mirrors will auto-fold when you turn off the ignition. The paper manual says they will auto-fold when you lock the car.

As my mirror only auto-folds when I lock the car and I would prefer that they auto-fold when I turn off the ignition, is there a setting somewhere that I can change to get that behavior?
Based on CX-5 owners with power folding mirrors here, the auto folding happens when doors are locked. And many have been using that as an indicator of the car is locked properly. But I actually would change the setting to manual folding and fold the mirrors only as needed, as the power folding mirrors on CX-5 seem to be not reliable as reported by some owners here. And there’re a couple of TSBs for failing power folding mirrors too.

Btw, I just purchased a cx5 GTR yesterday and decided to check the tire pressure after reading this thread.
MY TIRES WERE AT 45 PSI. WTF
Is there something I don't know about these particular tires? or did the service department read their pressure gauge wrong?

Btw, I just purchased a cx5 GTR yesterday and decided to check the tire pressure after reading this thread.
MY TIRES WERE AT 45 PSI. WTF
Is there something I don't know about these particular tires? or did the service department read their pressure gauge wrong?
that's actually not as overinflated as lots of people see. the tires ship overinflated so they don't get flat spots on the ride over. When the vehicles are PDI'd when they arrive at the dealers they are supposed to get adjusted down, but often the guy doing the prepping often doesn't bother

that's actually not as overinflated as lots of people see. the tires ship overinflated so they don't get flat spots on the ride over. When the vehicles are PDI'd when they arrive at the dealers they are supposed to get adjusted down, but often the guy doing the prepping often doesn't bother
Makes sense

....MY TIRES WERE AT 45 PSI. WTF...

Because that's all the care "stealerships" take with your thirty plus thousand dollar purchase.

To stealerships I ask ... "How can you be trusted with much when you can't be trusted with little?"

Back